Interesting Ramona Falls "Find"

This is a forum for trip reports that pre-date the Portland Hikers forum, trail photos from pre-digital era, or any other discussions that focus on trail history.
mps@pdx

Interesting Ramona Falls "Find"

Post by mps@pdx » October 13th, 2014, 8:17 am

Hello all -

While hiking up near Ramona Falls a couple weeks ago I came across something very interesting and a little spooky. I was off trail practicing my compass skills and scouting hidden campsites (there are quite a few around that area). I came across what appears to be a grave site. I am not going to give away the location in this post.

I have contacted the Forest Service Archeologist for the Zig Zag area, sent her the photos and a map of the location. I spoke with her about this on the phone and they are looking into it but so far they are not aware of what this is.

The site was marked with blue ribbon, which I incorrectly assumed was put there by the Forest Service.

Since this was obviously marked by somebody, I'm curious if anyone on this site has stumbled across this too? Am I the only one? Anyone know what/who this is??

-pdxmike
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

raftingdog

Re: Interesting Ramona Falls "Find"

Post by raftingdog » October 13th, 2014, 9:12 am

maybe a burial of pet?

mps@pdx

Post by mps@pdx » October 13th, 2014, 10:41 pm

I think that's definitely a possibility. The Forest Service also suggested it's maybe a memorial. It was a unique thing to stumble across - I'm more curious than anything - especially since I assumed the FS knew about it. I don't mean to spoil anyone's secret spot.. Just thought it should be reported (with the cross and all) it seemed the right thing to do.

forester

Post by forester » October 14th, 2014, 6:51 pm

Looks too small for a person. Probably a pet, but could just be a general memorial or even a symbolic memorial. Or something different altogether that coincidentally resembles a grave.

We ran across what appeared to be an unmarked-but-obvious human-sized grave years ago. Was fresh when we stumbled across it. Made for some creepiness around the campfire and a midnight trip back. Never did report it.

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » October 14th, 2014, 7:23 pm

While off trail hiking in the Deschutes River canyon, I ran across a grave and newer headstone just uphill of the active railroad tracks
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.