Elevator Shaft (east of Multnomah Falls)

Use this forum to report and discuss trails in need of maintenance. This will help organizations like TKO and agencies like the Forest Service get the most recent on-the-ground trail conditions.
Webfoot

Elevator Shaft (east of Multnomah Falls)

Post by Webfoot » October 6th, 2023, 7:30 am

I recently attempted Elevator Shaft and found it too brushy to safely proceed. The trail formed in the talus is impressive and obviously took a lot of work to make, and it seems a shame to let nature reclaim it. Would anyone like to work with me to reopen this one?

Petr

Re: Elevator Shaft (east of Multnomah Falls)

Post by Petr » October 16th, 2023, 8:09 am

Red Shorts attemped rebuilding Elevator Shaft in winters of 2021 and 2022, as soon as the area was legal again.
20220131_elevator shaft retry.jpg
The poison oak thickets were horrific , and he suffered rashs lasting a month both years, he went so far as to try grubbing out the root systems, big mistake!
Red Shorts moved tons of rock that had filled in the switchbacks and removed tons of trees, limbs and debris.
He was very proud of restoring 9 switchbacks worth of trail.
However, he had not scouted above this point and was shocked to see that massive downed trees, etc.. meant he could not continue, it was simply too unsafe. The moss had burned in the fire and had not regrown enough to stabilize the rockslide, thus all the rock he had to move. Duh! It only got worse higher up.
Saddened, Red Shorts admitted defeat.
2172021 elevator shaft rebuild attempt.jpg
Attachments
looking up Elevator Shaft gave up.jpg
looking up Elevator Shaft gave up.jpg (18.45 KiB) Viewed 8061 times
Well Jim, where to next?

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » October 21st, 2023, 5:30 pm

That explains why the rock on bottom part of the trail looked so well cared for. I appreciate the effort that went into it.

Petr

Post by Petr » October 22nd, 2023, 4:58 am

Red Shorts says "Thanks!".
He also would like to thank TKO and others for the brushing done on Wahkeena/ Angel's Rest Trail #415 approach to Primrose Path as he plans further rerouting to maintain a sustainable, and safer, trail.
On a further note: due to great work by unnamed others, "She Devil" etc. will be on the GPS maps soon (already on OSM maps) in the interest of public safety, as these trails connect to the popular Red Shorts Cut route to the top of Devil's Rest.
Well Jim, where to next?

Christminster

Post by Christminster » November 5th, 2023, 8:11 pm

I was talking about this with a friend. We spend most of our lives on nice conveniently mapped-out spaces. Even a forest off-trail can be pretty easily navigated.

But being in a huge jumble of tree limbs where you can't even see where the ground is to put your foot down is... a different experience. Basic visual comprehension just to decide your next footstep is really difficult. Your spatial bearings disappear. It's even hard to describe, like cognitive dissonance or an acid trip.

Most people spend their whole lives without experiencing it.

Anyway, I'm saying that's what's above the talus section. Over and over.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » November 6th, 2023, 7:59 am

Indeed, being unable to see my feet/footing is what stopped me, and that was merely thimbleberry! No problem pushing through that when I have some confidence of what's below it, but on a loose talus slope it really shut me down.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » November 6th, 2023, 8:32 am

Rhododendron can be bad, in my experience, even though they don't have thorns