Road to Burnt Lake - Getting Worse.

Use this forum to report and discuss trails in need of maintenance. This will help organizations like TKO and agencies like the Forest Service get the most recent on-the-ground trail conditions.
Guy

Road to Burnt Lake - Getting Worse.

Post by Guy » October 13th, 2014, 11:41 am

I'd say that the road to the Burnt Lake TH is getting to the point were it's becoming impassible for some passenger cars. We were the only passenger car at the trailhead on Sunday!

My passengers had to get out a couple of times so I could slowly get around a couple of particulary deep pot holes without removing the Kia Spectra's oil pan or exhaust system!

I see the FS is still requiring a NW Forest Pass at that trailhead & have dragged a beat up old Porta Potty up there that is being "kind of" serviced. You think if they are going to go to that much trouble & demand a pass then they could at least spend $500.00 for a couple of truck loads of gravel for the deepest pot holes!

Two years ago this was an easy drive in the same car.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Charley

Re: Road to Burnt Lake - Getting Worse.

Post by Charley » October 13th, 2014, 12:21 pm

Hear, Hear!
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

mcds

Post by mcds » October 14th, 2014, 11:33 am

What guy said.

R11

Post by R11 » October 14th, 2014, 3:00 pm

LMAO. These kinds of posts are extremely myopic and uninformed. I guess the OP thinks that every road in the system should be magically transformed to perfection and stay that way simply because hikers pay a measly $30 a year as their small contribution to the cause. Almost as ridiculous and hilarious as the idea that $500 will somehow pay to purchase, transport, dump and grade a couple truckloads of gravel, or that "a couple loads" would even make a dent. I quess the OP has no idea about the number of roads that need to be maintained under rotation, has never heard of a maintenance backlog and just thinks that uselessly bitching about things continually will make anything better. Down with the man! Yeah! That's the ticket! :roll: :roll:

ron

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 14th, 2014, 4:22 pm

yeah, some gravel is no solution. it will get knocked out of the potholes after a while. you have to do something way more major. And not enough money from NWFP for road maintenace. There could be for trail maintenance, except they have to use it on portapotty and garbage pick-up.

I've given up driving up there. My Camry bottoms out on potholes. I just park in front of the Lost Creek campground. Walk up the road about 1.5 miles. Then I can do loops like back on Cast Creek or Horseshoe Ridge Trail or up to Paradise and back by Ramona Falls

Koda

Post by Koda » October 14th, 2014, 4:36 pm

yeah lets just continue to pay our taxes, pay our forest fees, pay the concessionaires, and maintain trails ourselves and keep quiet like the good little minions we are.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Guy

Post by Guy » October 14th, 2014, 4:40 pm

R11 wrote:LMAO. These kinds of posts are extremely myopic and uninformed. I guess the OP thinks that every road in the system should be magically transformed to perfection and stay that way simply because hikers pay a measly $30 a year as their small contribution to the cause. Almost as ridiculous and hilarious as the idea that $500 will somehow pay to purchase, transport, dump and grade a couple truckloads of gravel, or that "a couple loads" would even make a dent. I quess the OP has no idea about the number of roads that need to be maintained under rotation, has never heard of a maintenance backlog and just thinks that uselessly bitching about things continually will make anything better. Down with the man! Yeah! That's the ticket! :roll: :roll:
ron
Oh dear Ron, did you get out of bed on the wrong side this morning?

This will be my only reply to your post so feel free to fire back with some more vitriol and get the last word if you want.

Where in my post did I say that all roads should be in perfect condition? I didn't. What I said was that for $500.00 two loads of gravel could be delivered & dumped in those pot holes making the road passable again - not perfect but passable. Yes I stand by that price I've been buying gravel for gravel roads & road repair for over 25 years.

I've driven my car to almost every Mt Hood trailhead this year without a problem. Currently the Burnt Lake Trailhead access is the worst of them all yet it's one of the closest & easiest cost wise for the FS to maintain due to it's proximity to HWY 26. I bet they are paying significantly more to keep that beat up Porta Potty up there.

Burnt lake is part of the Old Maid Flats, hiking trails and camp grounds, it's a high use area. I would think that the Burnt lake road would be near the top of the list for at the very least some rudimentary maintenance.

There you go have at it!
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Guy

Post by Guy » October 14th, 2014, 4:44 pm

yeah, some gravel is no solution. it will get knocked out of the potholes after a while. you have to do something way more major. And not enough money from NWFP for road maintenace. There could be for trail maintenance, except they have to use it on portapotty and garbage pick-up.
Jerry, I agree gravel is not a permanent solution but it is a temporary fix and would certainly last a season or two.

Perhaps they should take some of that money that they seem to have for road removal and spend it on road repair - just a thought!!
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Charley

Post by Charley » October 14th, 2014, 5:00 pm

Squeaky wheel gets the grease. If we citizens don't care, the FS won't care, and the road won't get better.
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 14th, 2014, 6:34 pm

I'm ignoring any personal attacks :D

Yeah, some gravel would help for a short while. I think Forest Service doesn't like short term fixes.

The Ramona Falls, Casey Creek, Horseshoe Ridge trails get a lot more use and have better access.

I agree they shouldn't bother with toilet, garbage, and NWFP if the road is that bad.

Maybe they should just move the trailhead back 1.5 miles. Sort of like they did with Ramona Falls Trail, what was it, 10 years ago? That road was about as bad as Burnt Lake road.

Maybe the mcds plot that shows money for road maintenance has dropped a lot the last 10 tears explains the problem.