McCord Creek/Elowah Trail Damage (May 23)

Use this forum to report and discuss trails in need of maintenance. This will help organizations like TKO and agencies like the Forest Service get the most recent on-the-ground trail conditions.
Splintercat

McCord Creek/Elowah Trail Damage (May 23)

Post by Splintercat » May 28th, 2012, 12:03 pm

The McCord Creek/Elowah circuit is generally in excellent shape, including repairs to the steel railings along the cliff section and some of the accumulated rock debris move from that area, as well. It looks brushed out from a couple of years ago, too -- so nice!

Winter did bring a few spot problems to the trail:

On the south end of the cliff section, a falling tree pulled its rootball out from under the trail, though it generously left the railing foundations intact! Passable, and not scary to navigate:

Down on the lower trail, the problem section on the traverse above the creek continues to be a problem -- this repair pulled out over the winter, next to that protruding boulder that wants to push you over the side. I looked up at this spot, and there's a LOT of tree/rock/material up there, ready to come down, so this will undoubtedly continue to be a problem spot. This is somewhat sketchy for hikers to cross:

Just beyond, and a bit closer to Elowah Falls, this slide already has a well-developed boot path over it, and doesn't represent a hazard:

Finally, an old snag dropped on the opposite side of the canyon, about 200 yards from the footbridge at Elowah Falls -- also not a hazard or serious obstacle:

Otherwise, looks terrific up there! Lots of hanging wildflowers in the cliff section, too... and McCord Creek was as gorgeous as ever:

-Tom :)

Guy

Re: McCord Creek/Elowah Trail Damage (May 23)

Post by Guy » May 28th, 2012, 5:08 pm

Finally, an old snag dropped on the opposite side of the canyon, about 200 yards from the footbridge at Elowah Falls -- also not a hazard or serious obstacle:
Tom drop mcds a note, I'm sure that the next time he's got a spare 20 minutes he'll be able to clean that up for you :D :D ..
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

mcds

Post by mcds » May 30th, 2012, 7:59 am

Dang that is a beautiful tree. Lots of history in both its life and decay. It would be a shame to clear it, but if the agency says it needs to be removed, I can at least take a look. Lots of politics and liaisons to be maintained though. As a relatively anonymous cleaner, I don't factor into that equation, which suits me. I love your Upper Falls shot Tom.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » June 3rd, 2012, 5:58 pm

Thanks -- and I agree, it's a cool old snag. It might make sense to cut a notch in it as a foot-hold for stepping over -- or even a step! How civilized! It reminds me of the big tree that fell across the hanging meadow above Warren Creek -- also a beauty.

Tom