Nesmith Point trail really is deteriorated

Use this forum to report and discuss trails in need of maintenance. This will help organizations like TKO and agencies like the Forest Service get the most recent on-the-ground trail conditions.
gorgehiker

Nesmith Point trail really is deteriorated

Post by gorgehiker » July 31st, 2014, 4:38 pm

Tuesday I went as far as "Corky's Corner" at the 3000 feet level and was concerned that the trail is in such poor shape from perhaps the 1400 foot level almost to 2600 or so. I did not have an altimeter with me so I can not be more exact. This part of the trail has always had some poor sections, but it seems much worst. In places the trail is practically gone. There is a lot of water that comes off this trail in much of this area. Also, but less importantly, the trail could use some brushing.

Bosterson

Re: Nesmith Point trail really is deteriorated

Post by Bosterson » August 8th, 2014, 12:52 pm

Can you be more specific about what you mean by "gone"? I was up there most recently at the end of May and the trail was the same as always. I do believe it gets choked with bushes at various points in summer, of course, so maybe that's what you mean?
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

gorgehiker

Post by gorgehiker » August 9th, 2014, 11:48 am

I wasn't referring to the greenery but to the areas where the trail has large holes and there is only a small amount of tread left. I was hiking with someone who hikes that trail a few times a month most of the year, and she too noticed quite a change in the trail. I'm sorry that I am unable to be more specific.

pablo

Post by pablo » September 28th, 2014, 6:56 pm

I did this today and thought the trail was in good shape, maybe my tolerance is greater than yours for the amount of brush I encountered. The trail between 1700-2600' is built in gully that is slowly sliding into the Columbia Rive so there are tread issues but nothing that really bothered me. The tread problems will continue, not much can be done about it other than a total re-route of the trail (say move it over to Nesmtih Ridge). No blow down.

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » October 16th, 2014, 11:07 am

There are, and always have been, active mountain beaver burrows on that stretch of trail I believe is being referenced here. The little beasts (or beast, since they hate each other except when the rutting urge is on and don't live in colonies) will keep burrowing and people will just have to watch their step. Active use usually beats down some of the collapses but then Aplodontia rufa will want to tunnel again.

FernGoat

Post by FernGoat » October 26th, 2014, 9:11 pm

October 22, 2014 - hiked in very heavy rain up to Corky's Corner (2600' spot). Trail is about the same as the other 20 times (or so) I've done it. Yes, could use some work, but steep trails always seem to need extra maintenance. Be careful as it is very slippery.

FernGoat

Post by FernGoat » October 27th, 2014, 2:16 pm

Correction: Corky's Corner is at 2760' at the open view to the east up on the start of the gentle traverse up to Nesmith Point. I noticed a new sign there.

R11

Post by R11 » October 28th, 2014, 1:04 pm

FernGoat wrote:October 22, 2014 - hiked in very heavy rain up to Corky's Corner (2600' spot). Trail is about the same as the other 20 times (or so) I've done it. Yes, could use some work, but steep trails always seem to need extra maintenance. Be careful as it is very slippery.

Correction: Corky's Corner is at 2760' at the open view to the east up on the start of the gentle traverse up to Nesmith Point. I noticed a new sign there.
Yes, I've hauled a 50lb pack up that trail a couple times a year for training purposes for the last 10 years or so as well and I've not seen any significant deterioration either. In fact, this last time in August I noticed a couple spots where some tread work had been done, removing some ankle twisting roots and leveling the grade. Despite the laughable ranting done in another recent thread, work is done, brush is cleared and signs are replaced etc as time goes on. This particular trail to me is one of those that I believe is likely lower priority. The vast majority of traffic from that trail head goes to the falls etc, with the Nesmith trail relegated to hardy people looking for a good workout. Those are generally the type of people who are used to non-turista trails and don't expect/need/want super highway width/grooming and coddling signs every 1/2 mile. [/myrant] ;)

ron

mcds

Post by mcds » October 28th, 2014, 1:11 pm

related thread about an off-trail on-trail Nesmith loop: http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... 10&t=20299