Nick Eaton - Gorton Creek - Cutoffs (trailwork) 2014-04-22

Use this forum to report and discuss trails in need of maintenance. This will help organizations like TKO and agencies like the Forest Service get the most recent on-the-ground trail conditions.
mcds

Nick Eaton - Gorton Creek - Cutoffs (trailwork) 2014-04-22

Post by mcds » April 22nd, 2014, 7:36 pm

Starting at the Herman Creek trailhead, Nick Eaton Way and Gorton Creek Trail make a stunning loop hike. Not just for the burn, but especially for the light in the forest when descending from Indian Pt during the last hour or two of the day. Unreportedly, the upper extents of Nick Eaton Way and Gorton Creek Trail had a slew of blowdown and deadfall across the trail. It took loops on two long days to get it all, including traverses of the Ridge Cutoff Trail and Deadwood Trail. 30 miles and 8000ft EG. Sawed or heaved a few more than 60. Most were between 6" and 12". One 20". A handful of pesky's. Nearly all were either above Gray's Creek on Gorton Creek Trail, or above the Ridge Cutoff on Nick Eaton Way. Some photos below. As usual, zero of your federal dollars/vehicles/saws/etc were involved.

Grass Widow, hanging meadow off Nick Eaton Way:

Net Winged Beetle on Nick Eaton Ridge:

Squirrel tracks:

Snow trees on Gorton Creek:

Nearly snowless Defiance seen from Gorton Creek:

Grace in age on Nick Eaton:

Trailwork, unsorted:

Mt Adams from the Deadwood Trail:
Last edited by mcds on April 23rd, 2014, 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

retired jerry

Re: Nick Eaton - Gorton Creek - Cutoffs (trailwork) 2014-04

Post by retired jerry » April 23rd, 2014, 7:21 am

Those are some big logs, what saw did you use?

miah66

Post by miah66 » April 23rd, 2014, 11:09 am

Thanks 1,000,000! 8-)
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

mcds

Post by mcds » April 23rd, 2014, 2:42 pm

RJ - My personal hand saws, no chainsaws, if that is what you are asking. If you are asking for a recommendation for upgrading from a folding pruning saw, I can highly recommend the 18" Fiskars 9364 pull-saw with a D-handle. Comes with an excellent sheath, is light weight, has fine teeth for branches down to 1/2", only $20 at Walmart. Otherwise, I have a couple of D-handled long pruning saws and a couple of vintage crosscut saws that I've restored. I just picked up a vintage 8' bucking crosscut that has 2' broken off one end. Restoring it into a 6' oneman crosscut.

Miah - My pleasure, thanks for the compliment.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » April 23rd, 2014, 2:58 pm

mcds wrote:highly recommend the 18" Fiskars 9364 pull-saw with a D-handle. Comes with an excellent sheath, is light weight, has fine teeth for branches down to 1/2", only $20 at Walmart.
That looks handy! I have some downfall out back that I need to handle. How big a log might you practically handle with a saw like that? (Some of mine are probably >12".)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 23rd, 2014, 3:03 pm

I don't do Walmart :)

I got this Corona saw http://www.coronatools.com/item/rs-4040 ... lding-saws

6 inches, 6 ounces, those Corona blades work really good

http://www2.fiskars.com/Shop-Products/T ... dle-Saw-18 is pretty close to yours, looks like the same type of saw blade as the Corona

It seems like saw blades these days cut better than older saws

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 23rd, 2014, 3:05 pm

Theoretically, you can saw a log twice the diameter of you blade length

Maybe 50% bigger is a more realistic value

You can definitely do a log with the same diamter as your blade length

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » April 23rd, 2014, 3:06 pm

Nice work, plenty of sweat and caloric burn in those pics. A few of those look fairly size able.
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

mcds

Post by mcds » April 23rd, 2014, 3:41 pm

Kep - no problems on the 12". The main points are 1) make sure nothing overhead or upslope is going to come loose, 2) have a trip-free escape path to back away if things go sour, 3) know that you are a major hazard to any 2 or 4 footed onlookers, 4) pay attention to bind and know what the different ones indicate, 5) pay attention to cracking noises (no ear muffs) and what they indicate, 6) plan the angles to make it easy to separate the lengths, 7) take long strokes, 8) keep your shoulder in line with the length of the saw blade.

All the sawdust must be cleared from the kerf on each stroke. Otherwise the sawdust builds up in the kerf, getting between the teeth and the intact wood, and creates extra friction. Of course you can ignore this and just put up with the extra work. Also in this regard, the fine teeth on Fiskars doesn't drop wet or gummy sawdust. If you have a lot of this to cut, there is the 21" Corona 7160 D-handled pull saw for $45 on Amazon with no sheath. Its a nice saw. It clears better. But the teeth are too coarse for 1.5" diam and smaller, thus requiring another tool/saw to fill the gap between the capacities of a pair of by-pass pruners and the Corona.

For the 18" Fiskars on anything over 8" dia, first use an axe or hatchet to cut flat faces on the front and back side. The cross section will look like a 1/4 mi running track. For example, chopping off 2" on either side of a 12" log will reduce the kerf length to 8". It doesn't take very much effort to chop off a couple inches on each side. The practical limit is something like 18" dia. There are other techniques, like cutting 1/3 the diameter, rotating the log 90 degrees, cutting another 1/3, and so on, but this results in kerf that is not flat on the sides, and this causes the saw to bind.

That said, when I have one of my crosscuts with me, I'll use it on everything 6-8" and up because it cuts on both the push and pull, allows a much longer body stroke, and I can stand that much further away from the cut on the final few strokes.

Ok, I'm guessing that's definitely tldr.
Last edited by mcds on April 23rd, 2014, 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mcds

Post by mcds » April 23rd, 2014, 3:47 pm

RJ wrote:
> http://www2.fiskars.com/Shop-Products/T ... dle-Saw-18 is pretty close to yours, looks like the same type of saw blade as the Corona

With that handle, the worker would be making the entire cut with a bent wrist and/or with their shoulder not in line with the length of the blade.