Trail Work 4-15-2014, PCT at Pacific Crest Falls

Use this forum to report and discuss trails in need of maintenance. This will help organizations like TKO and agencies like the Forest Service get the most recent on-the-ground trail conditions.
rcPDX

Trail Work 4-15-2014, PCT at Pacific Crest Falls

Post by rcPDX » April 15th, 2014, 7:57 pm

Had a FANTASTIC crew at Pacific Crest Falls today. They are with the New Seasons Markets; this crew from the Hawthorne store. An excellent crew. We hiked in from Herman Creek Trailhead, across on Herman Bridge Trail, and then northbound on the Pacific Crest Trail to the Pacific Crest Falls (Beautiful falls if you haven't been there).
Here's the crew.
NSM1 001.JPG
Today's crew
Along the way to the PCT, we cleared rocks.
NSM1 003.JPG
Feet and leg power.
My main goal of the day was to improve the stream crossing. I wish I would have taken a "before" picture. The crossing "before" was on pointy unstable rocks. Since this is such a popular trail for day hikers I wanted the crossing to be extremely easy. Now it is. The crew found and moved huge flat-topped rocks and placed them appropriately for easy crossing, still allowing for horses to ford across the middle of the stream.
NSM1 006.JPG
Big, stable stepping stones. Great work!
After lunch, we improved the south-side approach. Moved a couple of logs, moved a bunch of rock, and topped off the trail.
NSM1 010.JPG
Hauling a log
NSM1 012.JPG
Hauling rock from an uphill slide
NSM1 013.JPG
trail widening
Uphill (south) of here, there was an awkward step at a root. This was fixed by making a ramp of very solid large rocks fit into place, topped by smaller rocks and topped off with mineral dirt. I was very impressed with the work of this one person and her craftsmanship on the ramp.
NSM1 016.JPG
It doesn't look like much, but it makes a big difference in trail experience.
We saved a beautiful snail.
NSM1 018.JPG
Finishing up.
NSM1 019.JPG
The trail is so much nicer.
NSM1 020.JPG
Trail pic
In the morning on the way into the woods, we left a couple of worker to sweep the Herman Creek Bridge. This greatly helps preserve the wood. The best job ever on sweeping. The bridge practically glowed as we headed home.
NSM1 022.JPG
Look at this CLEAN bridge!
Fantastic crew! Thanks much New Seasons Markets! Looking so forward to future work parties.

Roberta
Mt Hood Chapter PCTA

BrianEdwards

Re: Trail Work 4-15-2014, PCT at Pacific Crest Falls

Post by BrianEdwards » April 15th, 2014, 9:05 pm

Great work guys and gals!
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » April 16th, 2014, 5:51 am

Nice!
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

miah66

Post by miah66 » April 16th, 2014, 9:51 am

Wow this is the kind of corporate sponsorship I appreciate and can get behind! Good job!
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider