GPS Fly

Use this forum to ask questions about how to use this website, or to make any general comments about how it works
potato

Re: GPS Fly

Post by potato » June 27th, 2012, 9:31 pm

Peder wrote:
To anyone: Is there a switch to throw in the embed URL to get it to display "regular" units rather than metric?
REGULAR units? :shock: :shock: :shock: I get all confused about how many ounces to a ton (long or short ton?) or the number of inches to a mile. Thankfully only three countries use regular units: “Three countries use non-metric measurement systems: Liberia, Myanmar, and the United States.” ..the rest of the world uses the metrics system. (from Wikipedia)
I am an American and I approve of this message.
self observing universe (main blog)
Joe hikes (PCT blog)
Laws of Nature (bandcamp)

Guy

Post by Guy » June 28th, 2012, 4:33 am

Metric measurements = on trail hiking
Imperial measurements = off trail hiking

;) ;)
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » June 28th, 2012, 5:48 am

Peder wrote:REGULAR units? :shock: :shock: :shock:
Heheheh... it was a joke! Honest. Probably should've include a ;)

I'd agree with you, myself. Most people I know IRL are hopelessly "US Americans." Maybe this board will be the exception to rule, for one that's predominantly folks from around here. That'd be nice. But I still share stuff with others who think differently, too, hence the question.
Guy wrote:Metric measurements = on trail hiking
Imperial measurements = off trail hiking

;) ;)
HA! :D
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Peder

Post by Peder » June 28th, 2012, 7:19 am

kepPNW wrote:
Peder wrote:REGULAR units? :shock: :shock: :shock:
Heheheh... it was a joke! Honest. Probably should've include a ;)
Don't worry, I'm kidding too.

Once you work out how many ounces to the long ton (that is the 2,200 lbs one), just tell me. Then you can calculate how many grains to the ton! As I recall there are 7,000 grains to the pound! I find the system hilarious. :D
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

potato

Post by potato » June 28th, 2012, 8:27 am

self observing universe (main blog)
Joe hikes (PCT blog)
Laws of Nature (bandcamp)

Guy

Post by Guy » June 28th, 2012, 8:54 am

Serious thread drift here but couldn't resist! Britain decimalized it's money in 1971, I remember there being pandemonium at school when we all took our dinner money in :^).. Before that we had this very logical & easy system ;) ..

A Pound had 240 pennies divided into 20 shillings of 12 pennies each, we had plethora of coins to choose from:

Farthings (Quarter pennies)
Halfpennies (Halfpennies)
Pennies (1 penny)
2 Penny bits.
3 Penny bits.
6 Penny bits (half a shilling)
Shillings (12 pennies)
Half Crowns (2.5 shillings or 30 pennies)

Then it changed to paper notes (bills)

10 Shilling notes (Half a pound)
Pound notes

Now whats difficult about that ;)
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Peder

Post by Peder » July 7th, 2012, 2:45 pm

Guy wrote:Serious thread drift here but couldn't resist! Britain decimalized it's money in 1971, I remember there being pandemonium at school when we all took our dinner money in :^).. Before that we had this very logical & easy system ;) ..
Guy - You beat me to it! Yesterday when hiking I realized that the US monetary system was irregular (to use kepPNW terminology) and that there was an urgent need to do away with 100 cents to the dollar nonsense, so that the US population could benefit from a "regular" monetary system. My thought was to propose the old English system with Farthings, Shillings and other cool stuff. Naturally, when the US switches to a “regular” monetary system, the Farthings, Shillings and other fun bits can be renamed Washingtons, Jeffersons, Grants, etc.

I realize that one part of the US monetary system is already “regular:” America is the only country in the world where all bills are the same size and color. All other countries seemingly like to vary both the size and the colors; something I find obnoxious. When all the bills have different sizes and colors, it becomes so difficult to nonchalantly give a $100 tip! :(
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…