Time to send your photos for the 2015 TKO/PH.org Calendar!

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Splintercat

Time to send your photos for the 2015 TKO/PH.org Calendar!

Post by Splintercat » October 7th, 2014, 8:08 pm

It’s that time of year when we showcase the best of our Portland Hikers trip report photos in the annual TKO/Portland Hikers calendar. It’s free to enter, and photos will be used one time, exclusively for the calendar. This is our main fundraiser each year and helps keep the Portland Hikers forum and Portland Hikers Field Guide up and running and helps buy trail building tools for our TKO outings. We're 100% volunteer-run, so all profits go directly to supporting the forum and our trail stewardship efforts. It’s a great way to lend your support!

We’ll have a preview of the final calendar and info on how to order them as we get closer to Thanksgiving.

Here’s how to enter your photos for the calendar

1. You can submit up to 7 photos.

2. File names need to incorporate your name and the location of the photo, e.g., “John_Doe_Elk_Cove.jpg” This helps ensure correct photo credits. You can use your real name or screen name -- either works -- but use it first in the title (as shown in the example) to help us sort through the images.

3. Photos need to be original resolution of at least 300 dpi -- remember this is a professional-quality calendar!

4. No watermarks, please! (if you don’t know what that is, then you’re already fine) :)

5. Photos up to 15 MB in size should be e-mailed individually using our dedicated e-mail account for the 2015 calendar:

portlandhikerscalendar @ gmail.com

(note that we’ve added spaces before and after the “@” to prevent spammers from finding this -- you’ll delete the spaces when you use this address

THE DEADLINE FOR ENTERING PHOTOS IS TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 4 SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 9, so get those great photos sorted and sent! We're looking from photos taken over the past year, or so, with an eye toward images that celebrate the seasons, hiking and places less visited.

If you have any questions, just post them in this thread. If you want to share the images you're submitting, go ahead and post them here, too - I know everyone enjoys getting a preview! Thanks, everyone - let's see those great photos from your 2014 adventures!

Tom :)

Waffle Stomper

Re: Time to send your photos for the 2015 TKO/PH.org Calenda

Post by Waffle Stomper » October 8th, 2014, 7:17 am

Unless something unexpected comes up this will probably be the first year I haven't submitted. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's pics.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » October 8th, 2014, 12:08 pm

Shoot! I always enjoy your photos, Waffle!

Tom :|

Peder

Post by Peder » October 9th, 2014, 2:38 am

Somebody has to start the ball rolling! My two submissions:

On Mt Whittier, Mt Margaret Backcountry

Approaching Mt Minnie, Mt Margaret Backcountry
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

drm

Post by drm » October 9th, 2014, 9:24 am

How far afield geographically is okay?

Also, I doubt that adding some spaces to the email address is going to help much. I think the spider bots on the web are smart enough to figure that out.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » October 9th, 2014, 5:28 pm

Dean, I think our (informal) guidelines in the past have been within road trip range of our users -- e.g., trips to the Trinities, Wallowas, Olympics, Steens and North Cascades fit that definition. Another guideline (a bit less sprawling) has been the coverage of the Field Guide, which includes all of Oregon and all of SW Washington (including the Olympics). Something in that territory would have the widest appeal to the community (and calendar purchasers), so thus the general guidelines.

...and BTW, thank you, Peder! I was counting on that first image being in the mix!

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 9th, 2014, 6:19 pm

uh oh,... I've been putting Trinity Alps into the Field Guide :)

that's such a great spot to go for a backpack because sometimes the weather is better there and the snow has melted off

jdemott

Post by jdemott » October 18th, 2014, 2:56 pm

As a reminder to everyone, the large photos featured for each month of the calendar are typically in landscape orientation. So, unless there is going to be a change in layout this year, the featured photos need to have the longer dimension in the horizontal direction. I think that photos in portrait orientation have been used for some of the smaller, sidebar shots.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » October 18th, 2014, 5:00 pm

Good reminder, John - thank you! Along those lines (and to keep everyone thinking about calendar shots!), here are the 7 that I pulled out from this year. Kind of a weird hiking year, as I spent much of the summer chained to my creaky old house (painting, building a fence, etc), but I did manage to get up to the mountain several times, so in that spirt, all 7 photos are taken on Mount Hood:

First up the view from Owl Point -- made several trips there this season (as always) and never get tired of the late afternoon scene up there!

I'm also trying to do more abstract photos that don't involve (a) Mount Hood and (b) my 11mm lens... so this is a scene from the Gnarl Fire, below Cloud Cap:

Here's another familiar scene -- late afternoon from the upper hanging meadow on McGee Ridge:

...and another familiar scene, the well-photographed mountain hemlock growing near the Cooper Spur shelter:

Elk Cove from a couple of weeks ago:

...same hike to Elk Cove, on the way back through WyEast Basin:

...and finally, the west face of Mount Hood last winter:

Okay, so let's see some of those amazing photos, everyone!

weathercrazy

Post by weathercrazy » October 18th, 2014, 9:15 pm

I'm still working on recovering my photos from my external hard drive, so here's what I have for now...

Latourel Falls

The Gorge from Hamilton Mountain

Mt. Hood from near Burnt Lake

Mt. Adams and Meta Lake

Mt. Rainier from Mt. Margaret

Mt. Adams from Mt. Margaret

Mt. Rainier and Mt. St. Helens from Silver Star