Ape Canyon Hike

Post comments or questions about the Field Guide
HenryG

Ape Canyon Hike

Post by HenryG » November 13th, 2013, 10:15 am

I was inspired by Sean Thomas's recent trip report. I looked the hike up through the SW Washington map area in the Field Guide. The elevation gain noted for the hike on the list page indicated 2485. The hike page also gave an elevation gain of 2485 with a high point ahead of 4315. However, when i studied the topo map, the trailhead seems to be at about 2950. Assuming the high point is accurate, that means the elevation gain would be 1365. I have looked closely at the map and can see no significant drops and regains that would account for the approximately 1100 foot difference from what the map seems to indicate and the elevation gain indicated on the hike narrative.

Thanks for your time

kepPNW

Re: Ape Canyon Hike

Post by kepPNW » November 13th, 2013, 12:52 pm

I guess it depends where you measure to, and what you do while up there. I managed 5100' when I went! Seems like the shortest path in and out would be at least 1900'. http://gpsfly.org/a/1808...

http://gpsfly.org/gps_map.php?gps_id=1808&w=645&h=440
Someone really needs to tag Sean with a GPS one of these days! ;)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

bobcat

Post by bobcat » November 14th, 2013, 7:09 am

Different guidebook authors use different ways to indicate elevation gain and there seems to be some inconsistency even within a single guidebook.

I wrote up the Ape Canyon page. I calculate EG by all the "ups" during the hike. There is elevation loss in places going up the ridge, which means more to gain when elevation is regained. The "downs" on the 'in' part of the hike become "ups" on the 'out' part. This is not a straight, continuous EG hike. There are a number of dips that add up.

HenryG

Post by HenryG » October 20th, 2014, 12:14 pm

Don't know if anyone will read this and its taken me awhile to post it but, in apology to Bobcat, I have carefully studied my topo's and am adding at least 900 feet to my first estimate of a 1350 climb. That makes Bobcat's posted EG as good a number as any. Thank you