Frazier Trailhead - correct Driving Directions

Post comments or questions about the Field Guide
todd149084

Frazier Trailhead - correct Driving Directions

Post by todd149084 » July 15th, 2013, 2:26 pm

This past weekend I decided to try Serene Lake again, and wanted to try it from the Frazier Trailhead. I used the directions provided in the link below, which turned out to be so vague and hard to follow that I ended up spending the first night miles away at the dead end of the Linny Creek Trail ( a very nice spot though ).

http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org ... _Trailhead

Here are very clear and easy to follow directions to the Frazier Trailhead.

From Portland, head east on 224 towards Estacada. Drive past Estacada to Ripplebrook ( pass the old ranger station that is now a convenience store with wifi ), and continue approximately 1/2 mile ( passing Ripplebrook campground on your left ) where 224 splits into Road 57 and Road 46. Take the left, Road 57 (paved). In about 7 miles turn left on Road 58 (paved, one lane road).

Road 58 will come to a T intersection at the top of the hill. Turn left following signs for High Rock Springs Campground. ( Do not turn right, even though there is a sign with the number 58 and an arrow pointing to the right). Approximately 1.4 miles after turning left make another left at a four way junction on to Road 240. This junction is not well marked and will probably look like a small parking lot, with fire rings and discarded garbage in it. Road 240 is the middle road and not well marked. Look closely for a small brown sign with a simple 240 on it. This road is in horrible condition. I would recommend using a high clearance vehicle. Continue 4.4 miles on this rough road and park where it stops by a picnic table. There is plenty of room to park elsewhere if the picnic table spot is occupied.

RobFromRedland

Re: Frazier Trailhead - correct Driving Directions

Post by RobFromRedland » July 15th, 2013, 6:45 pm

That store at the old Ripplebrook Ranger station sells area maps which are invaluable when navigating the forest service roads. It is really easy to get turned around or miss a junction and many of them do not have any signs marking them. I would encourage anyone who is travelling in a national forest to make sure they have a current map of the area to help them from getting lost.

Your clarifications to the directions were very good, though.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

Peder

Post by Peder » July 15th, 2013, 9:51 pm

Todd, your directions are excellent! I was just up there last week. Thank you.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

todd149084

Post by todd149084 » July 16th, 2013, 9:47 am

Thanks for your comments... so will the wiki be updated with this info? Those existing directions are really confusing.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » July 24th, 2013, 2:50 pm

I've updated the directions for the Frazier Trailhead and added a picture. Thanks for pointing this out!

John

Funk48

Post by Funk48 » September 15th, 2013, 10:08 am

Bobcat's directions are very good. One more note to help you find the Frazier Trailhead. When driving on 4610/Abbott Road, if you are no longer on asphalt, you've gone too far. Turn around and look for the partially paved parking lot on your right that is the correct start of the 4 way intersection and gives you access to 240. (If you continue on Abbott to the gravel section, there is a 4 way intersection that sounds like the one described in the guide. We took one of the wrong roads to the end and helped turn around another group that did the same thing.)

bobcat

Post by bobcat » September 19th, 2013, 4:24 pm

@Funk48: Thanks for the input. I've modified the directions slightly based on your comments.

todd149084

Post by todd149084 » September 19th, 2013, 5:14 pm

The only bad thing about us creating such good driving directions is that our chances of getting a campsite on summer weekends will be that less likely :(