Directions to Whetstone Trailhead incorrect

Post comments or questions about the Field Guide
LLesko

Directions to Whetstone Trailhead incorrect

Post by LLesko » June 8th, 2014, 2:39 pm

Unfortunately, my partner and I never found the trailhead since we had to return home before having a chance to look it up again. We realized what may have went wrong. The Portland Hikers Field Guide trailhead information states:

Drive 3.6 miles and turn right onto FR 63 for Bagby Hot Springs.

Drive 7.5 miles, passing Bagby Hot Springs, and turn left onto gravel FR 7020.

If you do this, you end up traveling a gravel road with no turn at 7.5 miles.

The Mt. Hood National Forest directions seem to follow what google maps recommends based on the coordinates provided:

Drive 3.7 miles and turn right onto FR 63 for Bagby Hot Springs

Travel 3.5 miles and turn right onto Bagby Road (clearly marked) & then travel 7.4 miles to FR 7020. An extra 3.5 miles in there, but it looks to be right.

Hopefully we'll try this again!

RobFromRedland

Re: Directions to Whetstone Trailhead incorrect

Post by RobFromRedland » June 8th, 2014, 4:53 pm

While I have not been there in a few years, I have been told that there is a washout on road 7020, so you need to take road 7030 to the end of 7020 to the trailhead.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

bobcat

Post by bobcat » June 12th, 2014, 7:40 am

Thank you! I'll double-check this and correct it in the Field Guide.

-Q-

Post by -Q- » June 12th, 2014, 9:04 am

A recent TR on Whetstone reported that 7020 is a-ok.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » June 14th, 2014, 7:45 am

Apologies to LLesko for enduring an error in the Field Guide directions. Turns out a #!@!!??^**3@@ Field Guide editor named bobcat left out a crucial line in the instructions. I've corrected the error (actually, as per some notes I have, I've rerouted via 7030 since I'm not going out there quite yet to see if 7020 is passable all the way through). I hope LLesko had a good backup plan for the day (always a good idea).

Bobcat has told me that he promises LLesko he will carry his/her pack if they meet going the same direction on the trail. Also will buy beer at the end of the day . . .

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 14th, 2014, 8:14 am

You have done an amazing number of field guide entries, thanks!

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » June 14th, 2014, 7:15 pm

bobcat wrote:(actually, as per some notes I have, I've rerouted via 7030 since I'm not going out there quite yet to see if 7020 is passable all the way through).
I've had two different reports that 7020 is passable all the way through. I had also heard there was a slide on 7020 but maybe it got fixed?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

-Q-

Post by -Q- » June 15th, 2014, 1:48 pm

bobcat wrote:Apologies to LLesko for enduring an error in the Field Guide directions. Turns out a #!@!!??^**3@@ Field Guide editor named bobcat left out a crucial line in the instructions. I've corrected the error (actually, as per some notes I have, I've rerouted via 7030 since I'm not going out there quite yet to see if 7020 is passable all the way through). I hope LLesko had a good backup plan for the day (always a good idea).

Bobcat has told me that he promises LLesko he will carry his/her pack if they meet going the same direction on the trail. Also will buy beer at the end of the day . . .
cross post...

I was up at the Whetstone Mountain TH yesterday (6/14).
Hiked to Silver King Lake via the Whetstone Ridge (fantastic place).
The 7020 road is in great shape. Hardly any potholes, not many washboards, no overhanging brush. Excellent conditions.

greenjello85

Post by greenjello85 » July 31st, 2014, 1:41 pm

I also tried following the directions heading up 7030 about a month ago, the road is badly overgrown and it is washed out about a half mile before the 7020/7030 connection. 7020 is the way to go. Stay right at a Y 3 miles up 7020 then left at the Y at 6 miles(the 7020/7030 intersection) and then take the first spur road on the left down to the trailhead after a couple hundred feet. There's a sign for 7020 from 70 but no signs once your on 7020.
Thanks,
Dan

bobcat

Post by bobcat » August 2nd, 2014, 7:22 am

@greenjello85 and -Q-: Thank you. The consensus seems to be that 7020 is the way to go at the current time, so I have revised the directions yet again.