Being Lost But Not Forgotton, Use Online Trail/ Trip Beacons

Share your tips for safe hiking, surviving in the wild and managing hiking injuries!
forestkeeper

Being Lost But Not Forgotton, Use Online Trail/ Trip Beacons

Post by forestkeeper » November 13th, 2014, 1:45 pm

Hey hikers! The weather is changing back to it's more "normal" course; wet, windy, cold, damp, icy and snowy. Many view the Pacific Northwest's winter months negatively, but most of us hikers here at portlandhikers.org view these long months as more of a challenge. Here's a couple of good websites to log your whereabouts in case any of us take a nasty fall from slippery treads, lose our headings in the fog or in the early darkness of evening. http://www.iNeverSolo.com and http://www.TrailNote.com. There's nothing like wandering over to the edge of a hill or cliff to get that beautiful photo for your sweet petunia at home, when, the water logged embankment gives way with you doing the downhill Kalabunga! :lol:

These two websites are free and after you log in you trip plans for the day(s), you're good to go. Then, should you not make it back by the deadline you provide, your loved ones (or anyone that you signify that you want contacted) will be contacted that you are late (missing :cry: ). I will be snowshoeing soon, so I'll definitely be using one of these.

Have fun out there, complete your challenges and most importantly, be extra safe. ;)

Forestkeeper

miah66

Re: Being Lost But Not Forgotton, Use Online Trail/ Trip Bea

Post by miah66 » November 14th, 2014, 1:19 pm

Thanks FK!
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » November 15th, 2014, 1:06 am

Those tools are good, but you must stick with your itinerary for them to be useful.

I have heard a story where one of those sites, I can't remember which, do help facilitate the rescue of an injured hiker. Basically, hiker was late, friends were notified, and proper authorities began a search, ending in the rescue and eventual full recovery of the hiker, so as long as your contacts are reliable and have instructions for what to do, these services can work.
"Why are you always chasing women?"
"I'll tell you as soon as I catch one!"

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » November 15th, 2014, 1:52 pm

You're right about that. Today I headed to Horsetail Falls but decided hiking in the cold windy weather wouldn't be such a great idea so I backtracked to the mountains outside Estacada. Good point!