European version of GPS will include rescue function

Share your tips for safe hiking, surviving in the wild and managing hiking injuries!
vibramhead

European version of GPS will include rescue function

Post by vibramhead » October 25th, 2014, 2:16 pm

Galileo, the European satellite navigation system, is set to go fully operational over the next few years, and in contrast to GPS and Glonass, the satellites will include a global search and rescue function, transmitting distress signals to a rescue coordination center. So, DeLorme and SPOT may soon have a bit more competition.
Time spent hiking will not be deducted from your life.

GPS tracks on Wikiloc.

mcds

Re: European version of GPS will include rescue function

Post by mcds » October 25th, 2014, 2:37 pm

Tests in February 2014 found that for Galileo's search and rescue function, operating as part of the existing International Cospas-Sarsat Programme, 77% of simulated distress locations can be pinpointed within 2 km, and 95% within 5 km.[10]
System will pick up distress beacon locations; feasible to send feedback, e.g. confirming help is on its way.
seems like the distress beacon could be engineered to encode the device's lat/long.

Koda

Post by Koda » October 25th, 2014, 6:55 pm

77% within 2 kilos...? Well I guess thats better than nothing and certainly a huge advantage over nothing. Hopefully this can be integrated into a smartphone.....
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » October 25th, 2014, 8:53 pm

Means of locating the beacon and encoding coordinates on the signal depend on the PLB.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distress_ ... acon_modes
"Why are you always chasing women?"
"I'll tell you as soon as I catch one!"

raven

Post by raven » October 26th, 2014, 12:33 pm

Lumpy, I am guessing this will be a new trick -- a set of satellites computing the ground position when an emergency signall is received and reporting it. That generates the circle of probability Koda mentioned. Should be easy to build into a smartphone, dependent on the antenna and power requirements.

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » October 26th, 2014, 10:48 pm

If it's an anonymous signal, it will likely be treated as such. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but having suddenly hundreds of thousands and potentially millions of users being able to summon rescue will be very interesting to watch unfold.
"Why are you always chasing women?"
"I'll tell you as soon as I catch one!"

raven

Post by raven » October 27th, 2014, 12:06 am

It doesn't have to be anonymous. Being designed this way provides location without requiring the signaling device to be GPS equipped or "know" where it is -- because the computation is done by the satellite system.

Koda

Post by Koda » October 27th, 2014, 8:35 am

Lumpy wrote:Means of locating the beacon and encoding coordinates on the signal depend on the PLB.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distress_ ... acon_modes
seems like this would rule out smartphones since the device would have to be able to transmit a signal from its own power far enough either be relayed or directly to a satellite. The form factor of a smartphone is too small however this device looks like a solution...http://www.beartooth.com/

lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2