Mammal ID

The purpose of this forum is to help people identify things they've seen while out hiking: wildflowers, trees, birds, insects, small animals, animal tracks, even geographical features like buttes or streams
hlee

Mammal ID

Post by hlee » May 19th, 2014, 5:54 pm

Hey, mammals are not really my thing... especially rodents. I saw this guy while checking out birds on my deck (Columbia County). I know it's hard to tell size from these photos but it was pretty large for a rodent. The size of a house cat maybe... The tail is long and gets fuller towards the end. It's legs seem longer than a squirrel, as well. It walks higher up off the ground than I would think of a squirrel (see last pic).

I have looked through the ODFW web site and am at a loss, really. Most of the ones that come closest (but still not exact) don't seem to reside in this part of Oregon. The closest I can come up with is California Ground Squirrel... I suppose it's probably that, can anyone confirm/deny?

Hannah

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go.
-- T.S. Eliot

bobcat

Re: Mammal ID

Post by bobcat » May 19th, 2014, 6:33 pm

In western Oregon, it would indeed be the California ground squirrel (Spermophilus beecheyi)!

hlee

Re: Mammal ID

Post by hlee » May 21st, 2014, 4:23 pm

Thanks so much bobcat!

Hannah

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go.
-- T.S. Eliot