Blue Wood on Cedar Mountain?

The purpose of this forum is to help people identify things they've seen while out hiking: wildflowers, trees, birds, insects, small animals, animal tracks, even geographical features like buttes or streams
kepPNW

Blue Wood on Cedar Mountain?

Post by kepPNW » March 16th, 2014, 5:07 pm

Coming down Cedar Mountain yesterday, I started noticing all these wood fragments and even entire logs that were seemingly dyed blue! W.T.H.? Then, as we were almost back to Bonneville H.S., I noted again that many of the little potholes up there have very bluish water. Is this hillside leaching some weird metal? (Copper, maybe?)

Not an isolated instance. This wasn't someone going crazy with spray paint!

Something in the water???

I took a small piece of wood home, to see if it'd stay blue after drying out. It did. Really weird...
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Waffle Stomper

Re: Blue Wood on Cedar Mountain?

Post by Waffle Stomper » March 16th, 2014, 5:44 pm

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » March 16th, 2014, 5:57 pm

Interesting! The fungus photo on the first link looks exactly like what we saw, and fungus was one of our first suspicions. But the wood had absolutely no smell to it at all, nor did it appear there was anything on the surface. It was truly just like it'd been stained. Which is, actually, just like your first link shows. Hmmm...
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » March 16th, 2014, 5:59 pm

I found other links too. It can sometimes infect cut timber as well. Sometimes it is gray instead of blue. Nature, is never boring. :)
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir