Big Rock on Table

The purpose of this forum is to help people identify things they've seen while out hiking: wildflowers, trees, birds, insects, small animals, animal tracks, even geographical features like buttes or streams
kepPNW

Re: Big Rock on Table

Post by kepPNW » March 17th, 2014, 2:46 pm

BigBear wrote: Hmm, now you have me wondering if it was my Green Trails map that had the S&P title going south-to-north across the ridgeline or what? I can visualize it in my mind from the map. It made more sense that the fins were S&P because the reason for the name was that papoose was on Sacajawea's back, and the Rabbit Ears do not have the shape to support that description. Very perplexing.
Hmmm, yeah, "rabbit ears" really could work for either of them, as well. Jeeez.
Don Nelsen wrote:I took a look at my Green Trails map and it has S & P labeled right where the '79 USGS quad positions it. Probably the GT map was taken from that - my copy is dated 1983. Do you have a newer version - this is an interesting mystery.
My copy of Green Trails (428S, ©2011) shows the same label location as USGS 1994...
  • GT_TableS&P.jpg
Still, of all these maps, not one labels the fins on the ridge.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

bobcat

Post by bobcat » March 17th, 2014, 6:14 pm

I do believe there is some (justified) confusion about Two Chiefs. The lower rocks as labeled on the topographic map are Sacagawea and Papoose, also known to climbers as the Rabbit Ears (short Class 5). However, I have also heard and seen them labeled as Two Chiefs. This is a much less used name than the other two, so I guess the question is whether Two Chiefs is a third name for the lower rocks or was originally supposed to serve for the upper prominences (And there is the Two Chiefs Trail, or abandoned road, running below to Greenleaf Falls).

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » March 17th, 2014, 7:09 pm

bobcat wrote:I do believe there is some (justified) confusion about Two Chiefs. The lower rocks as labeled on the topographic map are Sacagawea and Papoose, also known to climbers as the Rabbit Ears (short Class 5). However, I have also heard and seen them labeled as Two Chiefs. This is a much less used name than the other two, so I guess the question is whether Two Chiefs is a third name for the lower rocks or was originally supposed to serve for the upper prominences (And there is the Two Chiefs Trail, or abandoned road, running below to Greenleaf Falls).
Good question! Googling Two Chiefs brings up mostly references to the trail, and mostly from here. Nothing much about the rocks, except images. Would really be interesting to know the origin of that name! Or, for that matter, who came to bestow the S&P name, too.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...