So what the heck is this on the Cloudcap Road?

The purpose of this forum is to help people identify things they've seen while out hiking: wildflowers, trees, birds, insects, small animals, animal tracks, even geographical features like buttes or streams
Guy

So what the heck is this on the Cloudcap Road?

Post by Guy » January 29th, 2014, 9:46 am

I have driven past this countless times on the Cloudcap Road & wondered what it was but last Sunday since I was walking past it I took a photo. Looks like some kind of flaming torch contraption. Anyone know what it is & why it's there?

hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

payslee

Re: So what the heck is this on the Cloudcap Road?

Post by payslee » January 29th, 2014, 11:28 am

I don't know its function, but there's one at the Greenpoint snotel site too.
greenpoint.jpg
-payslee

R11

Post by R11 » January 29th, 2014, 11:36 am

Is there a snotel site there? Looks like a "precip can":

http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrc ... 2p2_046152

Oops, I see Payslee beat me to it while I was looking for a pic...

ron

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » January 29th, 2014, 6:56 pm

I believe (but not positive) that that contraption is some old fangled thing to measure rainfall. I believe the snotels have a newer method of measuring rainfall now. When I went up and visited the Peavine Ridge snotel a couple of years ago, it appeared as though that "tower" (whatever it is called) was not used anymore.

Would be interested in a much more scientific explanation of what they are. They seem to be at all the snotels.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

forester

Post by forester » January 29th, 2014, 7:22 pm

Looks like something Doc Brown would use.

http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrc ... 2p2_046152

raven

Post by raven » January 31st, 2014, 12:47 am

From forester's reference, it looks like the metal feathers are designed to minimize the venturi effect of a breeze blowing across the top of a precipitation collector. (I've been wondering about those feathers for years.)

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » January 31st, 2014, 4:47 am

Wow - If I had bothered to click the link that Ron had posted and actually READ it, I would have seen the answer. That is an interesting page, and answers a lot of questions that I had after visiting one of these sites. :oops: :lol:

When we visited Peavine Ridge, it appeared as though the pressure transducer that was present was broken, and had been broken for a while. We all assumed that they were using more "modern" technology to measure the precipitation now. Maybe not!

Thank you!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

Guy

Post by Guy » January 31st, 2014, 9:12 am

Thanks everyone, if the one on the cloudcap road is no longer used I wonder if I could put a bid in for it. Would make a great piece of "Garden Art" :)
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors