Didn't get to hike this weekend...

The purpose of this forum is to help people identify things they've seen while out hiking: wildflowers, trees, birds, insects, small animals, animal tracks, even geographical features like buttes or streams
kepPNW

Re: Didn't get to hike this weekend...

Post by kepPNW » January 5th, 2014, 10:41 pm

Zia wrote:
Don Nelsen wrote:From the position of the Middle Sister relative to the North Sister, I think the photo was taken 8 or 10 miles (at least) north of Bend. I still think its Black Crater- but I could be wrong.... :)
The photo was taken in between Sisters and Bend at a litte viewpoint alonside the highway.
Kinda close?

http://www.peakfinder.org/?lat=44.2028& ... =4&dir=292

That site is generally pretty good, but it (surprisingly) seems that it doesn't have a name for that one?
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

raven

Post by raven » January 5th, 2014, 11:24 pm

Black Crater -- the chewed out (steep) side is visible in Zia's photo.

Zia

Post by Zia » January 6th, 2014, 5:40 am

kepPNW wrote:
Zia wrote:
Don Nelsen wrote:From the position of the Middle Sister relative to the North Sister, I think the photo was taken 8 or 10 miles (at least) north of Bend. I still think its Black Crater- but I could be wrong.... :)
The photo was taken in between Sisters and Bend at a litte viewpoint alonside the highway.
Kinda close?

http://www.peakfinder.org/?lat=44.2028& ... =4&dir=292

That site is generally pretty good, but it (surprisingly) seems that it doesn't have a name for that one?
That's a cool link!

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » January 6th, 2014, 5:48 am

Zia wrote:
kepPNW wrote:http://www.peakfinder.org/?lat=44.2028& ... =4&dir=292

That's a cool link!
I should've looked at it before opening my big mouth! :lol:

If you like it, they have a smart phone app that let's you take it into the field. The database is stored local, so no need for an internet connection.
Karl

K.Wagner

Post by K.Wagner » January 6th, 2014, 6:49 am

OK, Taken from that view point, I agree, has to be Black Crater, and my Trout Creek Butte is the lower one to the left.

Karl, that's a neat link. I have seen a couple of other similar ones, but they don't show the true profiles the way this one does. Definitely saving that one, thanks.
Kelly
There is no shortcut to anyplace worth going to.

PM me about the soon to be released:
Skamania 231
"How to really get off the beaten path in Skamania County"

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » January 6th, 2014, 6:51 am

K.Wagner wrote:OK, Taken from that view point, I agree, has to be Black Crater, and my Trout Creek Butte is the lower one to the left.

Karl, that's a neat link. I have seen a couple of other similar ones, but they don't show the true profiles the way this one does. Definitely saving that one, thanks.
I've used it a lot to figure out wth I'd taken photos of. Finally broke down and paid (some ridiculously little amount) for the app, and was trying it out from Defiance the other day. Very cool.
Karl

BigBear

Post by BigBear » January 7th, 2014, 10:08 am

I was thinking Belknap Crater was the mystery mountain.