Invasive near Bridal Veil?

The purpose of this forum is to help people identify things they've seen while out hiking: wildflowers, trees, birds, insects, small animals, animal tracks, even geographical features like buttes or streams
Splintercat

Invasive near Bridal Veil?

Post by Splintercat » January 1st, 2014, 12:09 am

Saw several of these plants below Bridal Veil Falls this weekend -- one growing into a small tree (10-12 feet) the rest as small shrubs. Evergreen, looked very much like daphne, but definitely not -- just not sure what it is. Looks to be regenerating on its own.

Is this a new invasive? Or just a relic from the old mill town that has spread a bit..?

Thanks in advance!

Tom :)

payslee

Re: Invasive near Bridal Veil?

Post by payslee » January 3rd, 2014, 12:40 pm

You're sure it's not spurge laurel?

That's a known but not-yet widespread invasive that would be delighted to grow in a place like Bridal Veil.

-payslee

payslee

Post by payslee » January 3rd, 2014, 3:53 pm

Ha... apparently 2 years ago I decided it was. So much for the state-wide invasive species database swat team :-)

-payslee

Guy

Post by Guy » January 3rd, 2014, 6:39 pm

Agreed Payslee, it's Daphne laureola. I wasn't sure so I posted the pic to a Plant ID group I belong to where the ID was quickly confirmed. It is a Garden Escapee so the population you found Tom could be from an old home but it's also spread easily by birds. Able to grow in dense shade & put up with dry Summers it's well suited to Oregon woodland! One curiosity though it much refers Alkaline Soils which we certainly don't have around here. Among other places in Europe it's native to the Britain so you can just add it to the list along with Starlings ;) ..

http://www.oregon.gov/ODA/PLANT/weeds/P ... aurel.aspx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daphne_laureola
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » January 3rd, 2014, 8:33 pm

Thanks, Payslee and Guy! For all the reasons Guy listed, I wondered why this isn't a more common garden plant today -- then saw this on Guy's link:
...black berries, which are poisonous to humans but not to birds, present from late summer. All parts of the plants are poisonous. The sap is known to cause skin rashes on contact.
So, attractive and adaptable... but not great to have in the garden, nonetheless - not to mention the possibility of helping it spread in the process.

Payslee, I'm pretty sure we were looking at the same plants! Basically, along the east wall of the canyon below Bridal Veil Falls. It does make sense that it's an escapee from the old town of Bridal Veil, too. I've also seen other garden cultivars surviving throughout the area (several clumps of bamboo and cultivars of ivy - in fact, I grabbed some cuttings of a nice needlepoint variety growing on a tree next to one of the old building foundations).

I guess I can report this -- but it seems like I should also just go up there and pull it..? I can't imagine Oregon State Parks would mind (unless they had a question about my ability to ID it).

Tom

bobcat

Post by bobcat » January 8th, 2014, 4:46 pm

Spurge-laurel is an uncommon invasive, but I have known about the population at Bridal Veil. I saw a couple of plants off the Marquam Trail the other day. There's a big patch of it on the Oregon Coast Trail at Arch Cape . . .