Unknown Building/ Area West of Multnomah Falls

The purpose of this forum is to help people identify things they've seen while out hiking: wildflowers, trees, birds, insects, small animals, animal tracks, even geographical features like buttes or streams
forestkeeper

Unknown Building/ Area West of Multnomah Falls

Post by forestkeeper » December 5th, 2013, 11:05 pm

Hey everyone. Out checking the cold weather art in the waterfalls of the Old Scenic Highway. I've often driven past this but have never stopped to check it out. It's located on the south side of the highway, west of Wahkeena Falls. Double click the pics for a closer look. ;)
unknownbuilding1-1.jpg
unknownbuilding2-1.jpg
It kind of looks like some type of powerhouse but by the looks of the overgrowth, it's no longer in use. But nice brick work on the walls of this building.

Nice little quiet driveway.
unknownarea1-1.jpg
I wanted to check out those cool ice sickles on the side of the cliff, so I just backed my pickup up the driveway.
unknownarea2-1.jpg
unknowncliffs1-1.jpg
So I gathered my camera and bushwacked through the brush.
unknownareabushwack1-1.jpg
Saw a few old growth Douglas Firs.
massiveoldgrowth1-1.jpg
And this old growth tree had some cool bigfoot's pancake polypores growing at its base.
bigfoot'spancake_polypore1-1.jpg
As I finally made it through the heavy underbrush, I caught sight of an awesome network of cliff and half cave stalactite icesickles.
stalactiteheaven1-1.jpg
stalactiteheaven2-1.jpg
stalactiteheaven3-1.jpg
In the half cave the icesickle stalactites were very long, a good two feet in length on a few of them.
longstalactites1-1.jpg
longstalactites2-1.jpg
Here is a little nature's treasure.
nature'shiddentreasures1-1.jpg
And lastly, here's a pic of an icesickle island.
sickleisland1-1.jpg
Any ideas on the name of the location of this place?

Forest Keeper

Splintercat

Re: Unknown Building/ Area West of Multnomah Falls

Post by Splintercat » January 1st, 2014, 11:46 pm

FK, I believe that is a phone company building. It's been there as long as I can remember, though the fence is a newer addition.

Nice ice shots!

Tom :)