washed-up jellyfish

The purpose of this forum is to help people identify things they've seen while out hiking: wildflowers, trees, birds, insects, small animals, animal tracks, even geographical features like buttes or streams
adamschneider

washed-up jellyfish

Post by adamschneider » October 21st, 2013, 9:20 pm

Okay, this isn't from a hike, unless you call it "hiking" when I walk from my beach chair to the surf and back again. :)

Anyway, I found this today, and lots more like it, washed up onto Cannon Beach at high tide.
jellyfish.jpg
At first I thought they were chunks of kelp that had gone funky and slimy, because a lot of them were no longer intact, and the dark stringy tentacles around the outside really look plant-like. (And there WERE some seaweed strands lying around too.) But it's definitely a jellyfish; do we have any marine life enthusiasts in the house who might know which kind?

jessbee

Re: washed-up jellyfish

Post by jessbee » October 21st, 2013, 10:06 pm

Yes, looks like a sea nettle to me:

http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/anim ... BrDNhDNA==

Google "washed up sea nettle" and the photos look pretty much like yours. Sea nettles are common and you've probably seen them in an aquarium before.
Will break trail for beer.

Blog and photos

adamschneider

Re: washed-up jellyfish

Post by adamschneider » October 22nd, 2013, 8:52 am

Yeah, that must be it: Chrysaora fuscescens, for those of you playing along at home.

I've seen and photographed sea nettles at the Monterey Bay Aquarium, but I didn't recognize them without their long fluffy central arms; those must disintegrate in the pounding surf.