Wildflower App for Smartphones

The purpose of this forum is to help people identify things they've seen while out hiking: wildflowers, trees, birds, insects, small animals, animal tracks, even geographical features like buttes or streams
Luv2Kayak

Wildflower App for Smartphones

Post by Luv2Kayak » July 30th, 2013, 6:38 am

Hi, all! So, I subscribe to the Washington Trails magazine, and the editor writes in the current issue about a wildflower app for his phone:

Washington Wildflowers, created by the University of Washington Herbarium and the authors of "Wildflowers of the Pacific Northwest". I like that you don't need an Internet connection to use it.

Does anyone here have it, or something similar (including Oregon wildflowers!) and could you tell us your experience?

Thanks! :-)

justpeachy

Re: Wildflower App for Smartphones

Post by justpeachy » July 30th, 2013, 7:26 am

The app has a subset of wildflowers covered in Mark Turner's Wildflowers of the Pacific Northwest. Since it was developed in partnership with the UW Herbarium it only covers Washington, but obviously since Oregon and Washington have some of the same flowers the app has some usefulness in Oregon. But even for Washington the app does not have a complete collection of all flowers in the state. Can't recall the exact flower, but there was one we saw at Catherine Creek this spring that was not in the app.

Greg, who is the wildflower buff in this relationship, says he recently heard about an app called Northwest Mountain Wildflowers (iPhone only :( ). He tried to find an endemic that grows just at Steens Mountain and an endemic from Saddle Mountain, but neither of those flowers popped up in this app. So clearly that app has limited usefulness as well.

vibramhead

Re: Wildflower App for Smartphones

Post by vibramhead » July 30th, 2013, 11:28 am

I have both the Washington Wildflowers app and the Audubon Wildflowers app on my Droid, and I think the Washington Wildflowers app is better for our region. It's more comprehensive and easier to use.
Time spent hiking will not be deducted from your life.

GPS tracks on Wikiloc.