When all of a sudden there arose such a clatter....

The purpose of this forum is to help people identify things they've seen while out hiking: wildflowers, trees, birds, insects, small animals, animal tracks, even geographical features like buttes or streams
R11

When all of a sudden there arose such a clatter....

Post by R11 » July 26th, 2013, 1:25 pm

Since the Hillsboro Airshow runs this weekend I thought I'd post up this short clip of a fighter jet from some video I shot up above The Necklace Valley in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness several years ago. Any aircraft aficionados want to take a stab? F-18 Hornet maybe?

http://youtu.be/NRYiRAjimP0

ron
Last edited by R11 on July 26th, 2013, 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

raven

Re: When all of a sudden there arose such a clatter....

Post by raven » July 26th, 2013, 1:33 pm

Video is marked as private, requiring a login.

R11

Post by R11 » July 26th, 2013, 1:46 pm

Oops! How about now?

ron

raven

Post by raven » July 26th, 2013, 2:15 pm

URL works now. I think you are correct -- an F-18, flying too low over a Wilderness Area.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 26th, 2013, 2:23 pm

Nice you got it on video.

I've had planes fly over me in the wilderness before, very startling. They must figure it's okay because no one's there :)

R11

Post by R11 » July 26th, 2013, 2:48 pm

raven wrote:URL works now. I think you are correct -- an F-18, flying too low over a Wilderness Area.
It is a little surprising how they train in those valleys like that. The next day as I was sitting in my camp I saw another one come snaking over the col between Summit Chief and Chimney Peak and bank even lower down into the same valley out of my sight before climbing back out at the head wall.
jet path.jpg
One other time probably 15 years ago I was with some friends hiking up the slabs just below Robin Lakes on the other side of Mt Daniel when we saw two come side by side up the Hyas Lake valley a bit below us and on up over Deception pass. People have mentioned in threads at NWHikers that they've seen them up around Glacier Peak in the Lyman Lakes area as too...

ron

R11

Post by R11 » July 26th, 2013, 2:51 pm

retired jerry wrote:Nice you got it on video.

I've had planes fly over me in the wilderness before, very startling. They must figure it's okay because no one's there :)

Yeah, it can be a little startling since they're relatively quiet until they get close and then when they pass you it's super loud :mrgreen:

ron

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 26th, 2013, 3:15 pm

And then after they leave there's this echoing, then very quiet.

raven

Post by raven » July 26th, 2013, 4:10 pm

I looked up the laws on the use of low-level training flights over wilderness areas. (I've been meaning to read the rules for years.)

A private pilot has to stay 2000' minimum over a wilderness area. All aircraft are normally limited to 250 knots indicated air speed below 10000' above sea level for see and avoid reasons in continental U.S. airspace. Exemptions exist for military flightsunder specific conditions, such as air shows or aircraft that require higher speeds, but normally the military has to fit in with other traffic. So the low-level flights over wildernesses would seem as though they are mere arrogance -- but there are different rules for military training flights...

The military has low-level training routes in shared airspace; population centers are avoided. Flights must be subsonic and within, I think, 10 nautical miles of the centerline of the published route. I'm not sure, but there may be no ground clearance distance requirement apart from see and avoid. The military has to provide at least a 2 hour warning via the FAA when a low-level training route is to be used. There is a military exemption for training flights over wildernesses, and there are published low-level routes over the North Cascades. So military jets can legally dust your mountain goat at 600 mph, but they cannot give you a photo op of a sonic boom generating a rainbow in the fur of the tumbling goat.

The rules do not relieve the military of general responsibility for safe operations. So, if a pilot does something that seems dangerous, complain to Whidbey Island NAS as the probable controlling facility. The controlling facility should be aware of which flight operations are or were in the area at any given time and the FAA should have a record of the issued NOTAM (notice to airmen). Safety assures only one flight operation is cleared at a time, although multiple aircraft may be involved, so specific pilots can be identified if the time and location of an incident are known.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 26th, 2013, 4:57 pm

They're probably practicing for military actions, like in Afganistan, where they fly low to avoid fire and hug the terrain.