What and Why

The purpose of this forum is to help people identify things they've seen while out hiking: wildflowers, trees, birds, insects, small animals, animal tracks, even geographical features like buttes or streams
Limey

What and Why

Post by Limey » July 6th, 2013, 9:50 am

While out exploring, came upon this meadow
025 (800x450).jpg
While wandering around we came upon this
028 (800x450).jpg
It was big. Hubby is 6' 6" and it was quite a bit taller than him. Had barbed wire across the top and some around one of the posts. About 50 yards away there was a marker in the ground that said Rouse Control. No sign of fence on either side. We found another one that no longer had the gate but it had chicken wire and hog wire wrapped around the lower half of the posts. Didn't get picture. All I can say is WTH? Any ideas anybody?

Marilyn

Eric Peterson

Re: What and Why

Post by Eric Peterson » July 6th, 2013, 10:04 am

Cool find, maybe this should be entered into the Believe It Or Not thread :)

raven

Post by raven » July 10th, 2013, 10:08 am

Where is the meadow? I've seen Elk proof enclosures in a couple of places, and this sounds like one. A friend living in the Puget Sound area did one to protect a Garden by enclosing her house and extended yard -- deer proof. I got dirty looks when described it as a deer trap for use during hunting season.

Limey

Post by Limey » July 10th, 2013, 10:49 am

EP..if you think this needs moved to ripley's, feel free to do it. I'm forum illiterate and don't know how. It was
a very cool find. Don't know what else was up there but it was too hot for me to stay in the open any longer.

Raven, The meadow is up an old gated dirt road off FR311. That's off cooper spur road. Wish we could have looked around more. There just wasn't anything else really apparent in the area. You'd think if it was to elk or deer proof something, the gate wouldn't have to be so wide. Maybe it was a bigfoot corridor :)

forester

Post by forester » July 10th, 2013, 12:37 pm

3 possibilities:

1) The gate could be wide because they needed to get a tractor in.

2) They might have had a gate sitting somewhere and built the opening to suit.

3) This enclosure was to temporarily hold captured trolls.

Koda

Post by Koda » July 10th, 2013, 2:51 pm

my guess:

old cattle corral or grazing area. I've seen plenty of random gates on public forest land that allowed grazing. I imagine that if they lost their grazing rights they were required to remove the fence at the least....
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » July 10th, 2013, 6:32 pm

One other possibility - I've seen "research areas" in other places in the forest. The forest service would fence off an area and do some experimentation of some sort - I've been told the fencing was to keep out most critters so as not to spoil the experiments. There are several of these areas out there that are still fenced off and haven't been actively used in years.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

cfm

Post by cfm » July 10th, 2013, 8:43 pm

Clearly that gate is there to keep out the rouses!

I have seen similar fencing enclosures in the Hemlock/Trout Creek area in the GPNF north of Carson, in the meadows surrounding Bunker Hill, and enroute to the old Wind River Experimental Forest and now decommisioned canopy crane. I think they used to have nurseries there for growing seedlings, and the fence was built to keep out the ungulates.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » July 20th, 2013, 8:23 am

Are you sure it didn't say R.O.U.S. control??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjuZiVrrJZ4

Limey

Post by Limey » July 20th, 2013, 5:04 pm

Adamschneider, Yeah, there was definitely an E on the end. Kept looking for missing G on the front but it was capital R then ouse. I have to wait for cooler weather to explore further.

Limey