Name that waterfall?

The purpose of this forum is to help people identify things they've seen while out hiking: wildflowers, trees, birds, insects, small animals, animal tracks, even geographical features like buttes or streams
kepPNW

Name that waterfall?

Post by kepPNW » January 1st, 2013, 12:57 pm

Kind of nice waterfall, just upstream from "The Potholes" along the Eagle Creek trail...

Thanks!
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

BrianEdwards

Re: Name that waterfall?

Post by BrianEdwards » January 1st, 2013, 10:33 pm

I believe that is 7-mile falls
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » January 1st, 2013, 11:19 pm

Very similar looking, yep! But I believe 7-Mile Falls (45.5787755/-121.8520927) is the next one beyond Twister (45.5821330/-121.8518891)...

7-Mile Falls

The one by The Potholes (45.5848222/-121.8549806) is downstream from Twister, probably only 5.5 miles up the creek...
capture.jpg
Karl

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » January 1st, 2013, 11:24 pm

Here's a better view of it...
capture.jpg
Karl

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » January 2nd, 2013, 6:58 am

Ok, then this is Grand Union Falls. Had to look it up. Pretty similar to 7 mile
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » January 2nd, 2013, 7:04 am

BrianEdwards wrote:Ok, then this is Grand Union Falls. Had to look it up. Pretty similar to 7 mile
That's it! Links are obvious, once you know what to look for! :)

http://www.waterfallsnorthwest.com/nws/ ... p?num=4021
http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org ... nion_Falls

Thanks, Brian!
Karl

BigBear

Post by BigBear » January 8th, 2013, 4:25 pm

I've been calling the two falls: Blue Grouse (id above as Grand Union) and Upper Eagle (id above as 7 Mile falls).

Not sure what the naming source is for "Grand Union", but Greggory Plumb ("Waterfall Lovers of the Pacific Northwest" author) has used Blue Grouse for a couple of decades.

Another waterfall name I've noticed is Multnomah Creek's Weisendanger Falls, used for the lower cascade of Double Falls. I remember when this plaque was installed on the rocky overhang bellow the falls and remarked "when did this happen." I wonder what the upper cascade of Double Falls is named now?

Rustygoat

Post by Rustygoat » February 8th, 2013, 10:44 am

Another waterfall name I've noticed is Multnomah Creek's Weisendanger Falls, used for the lower cascade of Double Falls. I remember when this plaque was installed on the rocky overhang bellow the falls and remarked "when did this happen." I wonder what the upper cascade of Double Falls is named now?[/quote]

The upper cascade is now known as Ecola Falls.
Tim

Chasing waterfalls can be addictive.
NW Off-trail Waterfalls -Facebook Group

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » March 31st, 2013, 8:31 pm

Er... well, I should probably 'fess up to both Grand Union and Twister: I made these up for a map that I produced for the local Boy Scout council in about 1983, and the scouts printed hundreds of copies for local troops to use... well into the early 90s.

Way back in Web 1.0 land I perpetuated the Twister name on this map, and later found copies of the map posted in various spots around the web... and thus the fairly common use of Twister. I also specifically deleted Grand Union from the web map -- it felt waaaay too corny! (...still does! The name refers to the fact that the falls occurs just below the point where the two main forks come together).

Eventually, I'd like to see both falls officially named with some sort of historical reference -- e.g, the designer of the Eagle Creek Trail, for example, or one of the prominent Forest Service pioneers who haven't been honored yet... or perhaps a native American (ala Tomlike and Chinidere)

Tom :)

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » April 8th, 2013, 8:51 pm

Uh-oh... I just noticed that Bryan Swan uses "Grand Union Falls" on his NW Waterfall Survey... well, if Bryan says so! :)

BTW, Bryan also has a nice rundown of the various names applied to Weisendanger and Ecola Falls on Multnomah Creek.

Tom