White Moth at Cape Disappointment (WA)

The purpose of this forum is to help people identify things they've seen while out hiking: wildflowers, trees, birds, insects, small animals, animal tracks, even geographical features like buttes or streams
hlee

White Moth at Cape Disappointment (WA)

Post by hlee » June 29th, 2012, 3:40 pm

I don't know if this is possible--I've never been much on moths/butterflies/insect IDs. Does anyone know a name for this white moth seen at Cape Disappointment SP (near North Head Lighthouse).

I did a cursory google search, but didn't really find anything. I imagine there's probably thousands of things it could be.

Hannah

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go.
-- T.S. Eliot

IDratherbehiking

Re: White Moth at Cape Disappointment (WA)

Post by IDratherbehiking » June 29th, 2012, 4:21 pm

Nice find, hlee! I'm thinking a tiger moth. There are a number of different species of tiger moths, do you have a picture of the face? What color(s) was the face, orange, red, yellow or white? Also, do you have any close-ups of the legs and antennas?

hlee

Post by hlee » June 29th, 2012, 4:56 pm

I really don't. :( I only have 3 shots, and they're basically the same. I was afraid it'd take off, so I just tried to snap something really quickly.

I don't recall much about the face, just an overall impression that it was ALL white, with some light black spots or speckles on its back.

But, googling "white tiger moth" real quick, that could very well be it! When I zoom into my photos really closely, I can see a hint of striping on the legs, like I see in some of those google'd photos. (http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs31/f/2008/ ... yStock.jpg)

Awesome, thanks!

Hannah

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go.
-- T.S. Eliot

IDratherbehiking

Post by IDratherbehiking » June 29th, 2012, 5:18 pm

Here's a photo of a Fall Webworm Moth - Hyphantria cunea, one of the species of tiger moth. this one is from Stevenson, Wa... http://bugguide.net/node/view/113937

Koda

Post by Koda » June 29th, 2012, 5:41 pm

I got some great photos of one last year on my back porch. I can't say what it is either, but I like its ghostly white appearance.
Attachments
Selection_005.jpeg
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Koda

Post by Koda » June 29th, 2012, 5:45 pm

IDratherbehiking wrote:.....do you have a picture of the face? What color(s) was the face, orange, red, yellow or white? Also, do you have any close-ups of the legs and antennas?

I'm pretty shur the moth I photographed is the same kind as what hlee photographed. I'd be curious a positive ID.
Attachments
Selection_006.jpeg
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

bobcat

Post by bobcat » July 1st, 2012, 4:35 pm

Not an insect expert, but attempted to hone my ID skills using the BugGuide and distribution maps. My verdict: Virginia tiger moth (Spilosoma virginica).