Mt Hood mystery #47...

The purpose of this forum is to help people identify things they've seen while out hiking: wildflowers, trees, birds, insects, small animals, animal tracks, even geographical features like buttes or streams
Splintercat

Re: Mt Hood mystery #47...

Post by Splintercat » August 29th, 2014, 6:13 pm

Here are a couple of enlarged views from the upper meadow on McGee Ridge -- the first one is fuzzy from enlarging, but helps define the "47 7" best:

The second view is less grainy, and thus you can see the rock formations that cast the shadows (to my eye, anyway) making up the "47 7":

...just shadows... I think...

Tom ;)

sgyoung

Post by sgyoung » October 8th, 2014, 7:30 pm

In the "like button" thread I had a mostly off-topic exchange with Retired Jerry about the 47 and promised to post my pictures from August of this year. It looks like Splintercat put up very similar pictures, so I might not have much to add. However, as promised my shots (from McNeil Pt) are below. The first is the original photo and the second cropped and zoomed to show the figure up close. It definitely looks more like 77 than anything else in my pictures.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 9th, 2014, 6:17 am

harrumph... just looks like rock shadows in those pictures. I prefer the pictures that make it look like space aliens attempting to communicate :)

forester

Post by forester » October 11th, 2014, 11:14 am

It's like the Face on Mars without the face.

UTurn

Post by UTurn » October 11th, 2014, 2:47 pm

Embarrassed to say, I never see the the 47 7 you all are talking about. Does someone have a magic marker to highlight the area? :lol: I'd like to get in on the conspiracy.

Koda

Post by Koda » October 11th, 2014, 3:24 pm

UTurn wrote:Embarrassed to say, I never see the the 47 7 you all are talking about. Does someone have a magic marker to highlight the area? :lol: I'd like to get in on the conspiracy.
Take a look at the photo in the very first post on this thread...

Then if need be take a look at Potatoes post highlighting exactly what your asking for from the same photo:
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 11th, 2014, 3:50 pm

That is about the best "47" photo I've seen. Has to be late in season when snow has melted. Sun has to be in right position for shadows.

There is a route, south from McNeil ridge to Yocun ridge. It goes by the mouth of the Sandy Ice Cave. A little south of the ice cave, and uphile, is the "47". Someone's got to go get a close-up of the "47". It'll probably be difficult to find anything that looks like a "47".

Or, maybe the space alien's work will look even better close-up :)

And that "7" on the opposite side of the mountain that Kep posted is just a random, coincidental pattern. I can't believe that he is mocking the serious work of trying to clear up the "47" mystery :D

UTurn

Post by UTurn » October 18th, 2014, 5:07 pm

Koda wrote:
UTurn wrote:Embarrassed to say, I never see the the 47 7 you all are talking about. Does someone have a magic marker to highlight the area? :lol: I'd like to get in on the conspiracy.
Oh, wow! Could it have been more obvious??! :lol: :oops:

sgyoung

Post by sgyoung » October 24th, 2014, 10:57 am

UTurn wrote:
Koda wrote:
Oh, wow! Could it have been more obvious??! :lol: :oops:
The numbers are strangely clear in the photos that started this thread. They look stamped on the mountain or something, whereas the newer pictures are a bit more ambiguous and harder to see (I only took my photos because I knew to look for the shapes - my wife couldn't make out the numbers at the time).

Also, to add the leading and most parsimonious explanation, could it be Sasquatch aliens? http://www.wweek.com/portland/article-2 ... liens.html

Notice that the space bigfoots in the illustration are carrying rocks, presumably to make #s on mountain sides. Case closed as far as I'm concerned.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » August 8th, 2016, 10:49 am

Vuja de all over again!
retired jerry wrote:I'm sure it's just a random rock/shadow formation

But, now we have to go up and examine

Plus, it's on (actually below) the route from Yocum to McNeil Point
Got my best "in person" look at the numbers yet, last Friday (8/5/16). Took these photos between 5:30-5:45pm from the two bigger openings along the ridge trail.

My sense is it's waaaaay above the customary traverse routes.
    Standing back to take it all in.

A bit closer...

Way above the caves. No one goes that high on the traverse, do they?

Definitely shadows.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...