Small purple flowers

The purpose of this forum is to help people identify things they've seen while out hiking: wildflowers, trees, birds, insects, small animals, animal tracks, even geographical features like buttes or streams
happilyretired

Small purple flowers

Post by happilyretired » February 20th, 2024, 6:38 pm

There were a few patches of these guys along the McKenzie River Trail today. I'm new in town so all I know is I don't recognize them from the midwest :) Help?
P2200014.jpg

adamschneider

Re: Small purple flowers

Post by adamschneider » February 20th, 2024, 7:43 pm

Snow queen. Along with osoberry, one of the very first flowers west of the Cascade crest.

happilyretired

Post by happilyretired » February 21st, 2024, 4:37 am

Thanks Adam! It was certainly the first one flowering on this hike.

Charley

Post by Charley » February 22nd, 2024, 12:43 am

That's so early!

Though, I've seen cherries starting to bloom in Portland, so maybe it's not that early after all.
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » February 22nd, 2024, 1:14 am

It isn't abnormally early for snow queen.

(And the first flowers in the eastern Gorge usually start around New Year's Day.)

Charley

Post by Charley » February 25th, 2024, 12:05 am

adamschneider wrote:
February 22nd, 2024, 1:14 am
It isn't abnormally early for snow queen.

(And the first flowers in the eastern Gorge usually start around New Year's Day.)
I'm from the South and it's still amazing to me to be so far north and see flowers blooming in the middle of winter. Whether that's normal or not for those particular flowers, or normal or not for parts of this region, it does not fit the mental model of flower behavior that I share with many other Americans.

For example, here's a website of wildflower bloom times for the Smokies, which are at a latitude about 660 or so miles south of us (same as Las Vegas, give or take):

https://www.gatlinburg.com/blog/post/sp ... mountains/

The earliest listed month in that website is March! How can we be so much further north and yet have spring happening so much earlier!? Evolution and climate are fascinating.
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » February 25th, 2024, 12:59 am

Charley wrote:
February 25th, 2024, 12:05 am
How can we be so much further north and yet have spring happening so much earlier!? Evolution and climate are fascinating.
The Pacific Ocean.

The USDA "zones," which tell you which plants your area supports and when to put them in the ground, are based entirely on minimum temperature, not average or high temperature. The ocean keeps the west coast from getting seriously cold, so we're in the same USDA zone as South Carolina.