Emergency Overnight Bivy equip?

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
Koda

Emergency Overnight Bivy equip?

Post by Koda » October 27th, 2011, 10:17 pm

I've never been stuck overnight, but its something I think about... especially in winter when I ski tour. In lieu of keeping the pack light and never having actually been stuck, I only carry a space blanket and firestarter kit. Today I stumbled on a sale of a small siltarp, the smallest one claiming only 7oz. Made me think of what else could I add to make an unplanned overnighter a bit more comfortable than wrapped in foil in the fetal position in the rain...

with an eye at UL offerings can I be more prepared without carrying enough weight to compromise the objective? What is your setup?
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Lurch

Re: Emergency Overnight Bivy equip?

Post by Lurch » October 27th, 2011, 10:46 pm

I think there's an important distinction that needs to be made here... is the point being able to have a semi comfortable unplanned night in the woods? or is the point survival?

Out of curiosity.. what type of "space blanket" do you pack? I may have quite a bit to say about that ;)

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 28th, 2011, 6:30 am

I always carry a space blanket. But, it's 30 years old. I bet if I opened it up (in an emergency) it would split into a bunch of pieces. Maybe I should buy a new one.

Crusak

Post by Crusak » October 28th, 2011, 6:37 am

I always have one of these:

All-Weather Blanket

It's very durable, traps a ton of heat if you need to wrap yourself up in it, and and is useful as a small shelter too in a pinch.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » October 28th, 2011, 6:46 am

retired jerry wrote:I always carry a space blanket. But, it's 30 years old. I bet if I opened it up (in an emergency) it would split into a bunch of pieces. Maybe I should buy a new one.
Naw, you'll be ok...

:lol:

Koda

Post by Koda » October 28th, 2011, 8:12 am

Lurch wrote:I think there's an important distinction that needs to be made here... is the point being able to have a semi comfortable unplanned night in the woods? or is the point survival?
good point. I wouldn't mind hearing your view from both perspectives but I'll stay with the survival point and add what can one bring that might increase the odds of survival (that isn't an unrealistic weight burden in the pack) ?

I'm thinking something like this (on top of the standard 10 eassentials and space blanket):
>5x8 siltarp 7oz
>ibuprofin
>duct tape
>gauze pad
>?

and on the more "semi comfortable side"... if one can gage their risk of an overnighter higher i guess:
>jetboil + maybe a pack of ramen noodles or something.
>UL Bivy sac like the Montbell Breeze
>small foam pad to sit on

oh, my space blankets... I have a couple of them floating around various packs, of the small tiny size orange color that probably need replaced like Jerry's :oops:

sparklehorse

Post by sparklehorse » October 28th, 2011, 8:25 am

Instead of a space blanket how about one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Adventure-Medical ... 753&sr=8-1

These offer some insulation and are much more durable than a space blanket. They're pretty compact, weigh about 7 or 8 ozs. You can find them at REI usually. My wife and I keep a couple of them in our bug-out-bag at home.

G
You have to milk the cow a lot to make a bit of cheese.
~Henri Cartier-Bresson

Smugmug / Facebook

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 28th, 2011, 8:30 am

I sure hate adding 7 or 8 ounces.

Especially for something I haven't used in 30 years.

My space blanket weighs 2 ounces. Now that I think about it, I wonder why I have carried around 2 ounces for 30 years without using it. I am at the point where I have to look at small items to reduce weight. But I don't want to eliminate something I might need or even just enjoy, like the 4 ounces per day of alcoholic beverage.

Koda

Post by Koda » October 28th, 2011, 9:07 am

retired jerry wrote:I sure hate adding 7 or 8 ounces.

Especially for something I haven't used in 30 years.
true, that's why I always overlooked this stuff. It's kind of like insurance, costly and yet not needed if all goes well. But then again, if your UL pack weight comes down to an balance of 8 extra ounces isn't it worth the insurance?

I will consider adding up to a pound to my pack if I can come up with the right items. It all depends on your day trip objective of course, but some of my ski tours (and summer day hikes) are getting farther out so that's why I'm considering all this.
sparklehorse wrote:Instead of a space blanket how about one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Adventure-Medical ... 753&sr=8-1
thanks for the reminder, I forgot I actually have one of these I'll dig out. never used it, kinda bulky. I don't know how well it works as an actual bivy sac though but maybe warmer than the montbell breeze bivy I mentioned?

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 28th, 2011, 9:45 am

"But then again, if your UL pack weight comes down to an balance of 8 extra ounces isn't it worth the insurance?"

Maybe 8 ounces is a lower limit of how much you would even notice in reduced backpack weight.

But if you can reduce the weight of a number of items to come up with an 8 ounce or more it starts making a difference.

And if I'm carrying around 8 ounces that I haven't used in 30 years, then get rid of it.