Affordable lightweight binoculars?

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
R11

Re: Affordable lightweight binoculars?

Post by R11 » August 22nd, 2011, 7:18 pm

I've had great experience with Nikon Travelites for lightweight/compact binos. I've had a pair of 7x20 Travelite II's for decades which are super sharp, bright and tiny. Two or three years ago when I got the itch for a pair with a little more magnification I looked through a bunch at various stores, hoping to find some roof prism units (which can fold down even smaller for packing, and look cooler ;-) ), but nothing for even twice as much was as good as the poro prism Travelites so I ended up getting a pair of 9x25 Travelite V's which are also very sharp and bright, only weigh 9oz and are still quite small at about 4.5" long. They're great for packing and come with a featherweight/thin, but tough, padded cordura cover/case. It looks like they discontinued the 9x's when they brought out the VI series so if I were buying now I'd probably look at the 8x25's. For only $70 they're an excellent combination of optical performance, small size/light weight and build quality for throwing in the pack IMO.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/6 ... cular.html
Travelite.jpg
Travelite.jpg (16.33 KiB) Viewed 1004 times

ron