Affordable lightweight binoculars?

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
justpeachy

Affordable lightweight binoculars?

Post by justpeachy » July 5th, 2011, 1:48 pm

Can anyone recommend a good pair of lightweight binoculars for $100 or less? I know I'm not going to get fantastic quality with something cheap and lightweight, but I want binoculars I can take both hiking and backpacking and I don't want to add a lot of weight to my pack. Thanks!

Grannyhiker

Re: Affordable lightweight binoculars?

Post by Grannyhiker » July 5th, 2011, 2:25 pm

I use a monocular--half the weight!

Billc

Post by Billc » July 7th, 2011, 3:59 pm

I got a pair of Yukon Ramblers for about half your price. Waterproof 8x25 and not a bad image. I keep them in the glove box and grab them when I go.
Bill

mayhem

Post by mayhem » July 7th, 2011, 8:19 pm

Grannyhiker wrote:I use a monocular--half the weight!
Ditto + The one I have also has a 37mm thread for camera attachment ")

http://www.bugeyedigital.com/product_main/ckc-cvs8.html
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

turtle

Post by turtle » July 8th, 2011, 6:16 pm

I got a pair of Bushnell 10 x 25 a few years back for $25-ish. The optics are decent to good and they're rubber coated; 9 ozs. with case. A quick Amazon search had a lot of choices, many with free shipping.
Summer breezes caressed me, my legs stepped forward as though possessed of their own appetite, and the mountains kept promising. Rebecca Solnit

Crusak

Post by Crusak » July 8th, 2011, 8:19 pm

I know that binoculars can range from $25 to $2500 dollars. And you're shooting for something in the $100 range, so I suppose these may be out of the question:

Brunton Echo 10x42 binoculars - I bought these a couple of years ago for around $250. I know that's over the amount you're shooting for, but I have to say: these are the best binoculars I've ever used at this price range, and they're sort of perfect in size - big enough to function as full-size but not as large and bulky as a full-size pair. The package (when inside the carry case) measures 6"x7"x2.5" and weighs 26oz on my kitchen scale.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

kelkev

Post by kelkev » July 9th, 2011, 6:34 am

I've got a Pentax Jupiter that I picked up from Best Buy (online) - I paid about $39, but they are small, very light, and the optics are quite sharp. Perfect for the pack. ..... free shipping, too.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/PENTAX+-+Ju ... Id=9353923

Kevin
"Going to the mountains is going home."
— John Muir

grinder

Post by grinder » July 16th, 2011, 2:19 pm

I have a pair of Zeiss 8X20 pocket knockers that I bought 7 or so years ago. They go with me on every trip. They weigh in at about 7oz, but are worth the weight, I use them constantly. I have seen other cheaper lighter knockers, but once you have experienced quality glass it is impossible to have anything less. Spoiled myself I guess.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/zeiss-8x20b ... pouch.html

Thomas M

Post by Thomas M » July 30th, 2011, 7:39 am

Another vote for a monocular. Mine has limited use so I wanted the lightest I could get by with. I don't think you can beat a set of binoculars, though, for more comfortable, eye-easy, steady viewing. It's just that I don't use them very much.
However, don't expect a monocular to be "the" answer for you. Get one, try it out and see if you feel comfortable looking through one eye.

mayhem

Post by mayhem » August 11th, 2011, 10:04 pm

Standard Pic no Zoom Kings mnt Looking at Elk mt summit

Max zoom 5X

Sharp shooter Monoscope 37mm thread attached to cam for extra zoom

Max zoom & sharpshooter 8X
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!