New GPS

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
weathercrazy

New GPS

Post by weathercrazy » January 30th, 2010, 9:30 am

All,

I curretnly have a Garmin Rhino...I like it's features, but it routinly loses a signal in heavy forest (which are very abundant around here!)

I'm looking for a nice unit, preferably color maps, but more importantly, good signal, ability to track and connect to computer to download the track/elevation profile etc.

Any suggestions for both a GPS unit and software?

Thanks,
Tyler

Don Nelsen

Re: New GPS

Post by Don Nelsen » January 30th, 2010, 11:25 am

weathercrazy wrote:All,

I curretnly have a Garmin Rhino...I like it's features, but it routinly loses a signal in heavy forest (which are very abundant around here!)

I'm looking for a nice unit, preferably color maps, but more importantly, good signal, ability to track and connect to computer to download the track/elevation profile etc.

Any suggestions for both a GPS unit and software?

Thanks,
Tyler
Hi Tyler,

I think most would agree it's no contest with the Garmin 60CSx as the winner. Downloading to computer takes only seconds as does uploading saved tracks if you want to follow a previous route. Waypoints can be entered in the field using a full keyboard interface in the unit's software. Maps are full color and available in either 1/100,000 or 1/24,000 scale. (extra cost option) It's not perfect: Deep canyons, very tall trees - especially wet trees - cause the track to wander but not by much. (worst case, a couple hundred feet - usually no more than 20 or 25 feet.)

It's not cheap - about $300 +/- for the GPS, another $100 per state for the NG TOPO software and another $125 or so for the detailed maps to put into the GPS itself. You might find slightly better deals on the net if you shop around.

I've used the 60CSX for four years and it has performed well. I've dropped it countless times, dropped in in streams, frozen it, cooked it in the car and generally beat it up. It still retains the same accuracy as when I bought it. It takes two AA's or AA rechargables and gets 18 to 20 hours battery life - half that if you use the back light a lot but I hardly every need that. The cheap Costco Kirkland batteries last as long as the many times more expensive name brands. I doubt if I spend $1/month on batteries.

Good luck,

don
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

weathercrazy

Post by weathercrazy » January 30th, 2010, 8:18 pm

Thanks Don!

I don't see anyone else refuting what Don has said...and I have to say I trust Don's opinion has he does a ton of hiking!

I'll see what tax season brings, and get one of those for the upcoming season!

Btw...I did 14 hikes last year, after only 7 in 2008. I hope I can double the 14!!!

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » January 30th, 2010, 9:31 pm

I second Don's choice - 60CSx has worked for me for 2.5 years.

Very rarely it loses satelites, but you can still figure out where you are pretty close and it reaquires after a while.

I remember posts in the past where other people have voiced positive opinion of 60CSx.

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » January 31st, 2010, 12:42 pm

Ditto here. I can't say much else that hasn't been said, but I very rarely lose signal with the 60csx. When I was looking it seemed like that was the one GPS that seemed to have a pretty universal agreement that it was the best for signal strength. The drawback is that the mapping isn't quite as good as some other units (you have to purchase Garmin's maps, you can't upload maps you might get from the USGS, etc).

All in all, I'm very happy with my 60csx.

Rob
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

Thomas M

Post by Thomas M » February 2nd, 2010, 11:07 am

No doubt this is Garmin country!

However, I use a Delorme PN-40 and its performance matches the 60CSX, sometimes worse sometimes better. It does have only half the battery life of the 60CSX, but a couple of AAs solves that.

I suggest that you look at the PN-40 if you want electronic compass and barometric altimeter, which the PN-30 does not have. If I had it to do over again, I would go with the PN-30. The PN-30 is $300. PN-40, $400. Occasionally, a rebate or sale is offered. Check with REI as far as local retail is concerned. Be warned, REI is Garmin country.

For $30 per year you can subscribe to their map service and download all of the USGS, color aerial, black and white aerials, NOAAs of practically the whole world. No kidding, terrabites(?) of maps if you so chose! The GPSr comes with Delorme's TOPO software that, although sometimes a pain, is really quite useable and has capabilities that I will never use.

I suggest that you go to the Delorme Forum on their website and search around for "PN-40 vs 60CSX" and study a little before you buy anything. Get the opinion of expert Delorme users. Remember, Delorme is the new kid on the block of GPS manufactures and is pushing on the popularity of the "tried and true" Garmin products. If you don't want to do that, you can't go wrong with the 60CSX. It is a fine machine.

sparklehorse

Post by sparklehorse » February 2nd, 2010, 7:34 pm

+3 Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx.

This unit is getting to be an older model now but I don't think the newer ones improve on it much if at all. Like Don, I've had mine for four years. Lots of abuse, hiking in rain, etc, etc. Still works great. It serves as a perfectly capable unit for the car as well, complete with turn-by-turn directions. As mentioned this requires purchasing additional map software, but you can pick up the 60CSx relatively cheaply now which helps offset the cost of the software.

G
You have to milk the cow a lot to make a bit of cheese.
~Henri Cartier-Bresson

Smugmug / Facebook

mayhem

Post by mayhem » February 2nd, 2010, 10:08 pm

One cool thing on my Iphone is the instamapper GPS. If it gets a signal, pictures can be stamped with the coordinates. I still plan on buying a real GPS once I find the limitations.
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » February 3rd, 2010, 8:20 am

sparklehorse wrote:+3 Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx.

This unit is getting to be an older model now but I don't think the newer ones improve on it much if at all. Like Don, I've had mine for four years. Lots of abuse, hiking in rain, etc, etc. Still works great. It serves as a perfectly capable unit for the car as well, complete with turn-by-turn directions. As mentioned this requires purchasing additional map software, but you can pick up the 60CSx relatively cheaply now which helps offset the cost of the software.

G
I've never used it in the car for turn by turn directions. I'll have to experiment with that. Thanks for the tip!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

AlohaX

Post by AlohaX » February 12th, 2010, 10:08 am

Another Garmin 60CSX fan here.
As mentioned previously it stands up to some harsh conditions, and is easy to use. I’ve abused mine on weeklong backpacking trips in the North Cascades and Wallowas , up and down St. Helens and Mauna Kea, the list goes on…

Only thing I don’t care for is the e-compass feature. When active, it cuts the battery life by a few hours and does not seem to be an effective compass for navigation. (I also keep a Suunto mirror compass on hand just in case.) However I would not recommend saving a few bucks and purchasing the Garmin 60CX that does not have the e-compass, it also does not have the barometric altimeter. I can’t tell you how many times during a hike I’ve looked at the GPS specifically for elevation information.

I know Garmin doesn’t recommend it, but I’ve been using rechargeable Nickel-Metal Hydride batteries for about the last 5 years. I haven’t noticed any loss in performance compared to regular disposable alkaline batteries. (It makes me feel better not disposing of batteries regularly)
In summary, the 60CSX is a great tool!

Here is an example of NG TOPO combined with the 60CSX:
Tillamook Head Map.JPG
The Andes is foothills, and the Alps is for children to climb!