Delorme InReach Beacon -Possibly the best $300 you can spend

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
Chase

Delorme InReach Beacon -Possibly the best $300 you can spend

Post by Chase » August 6th, 2013, 10:09 am

The beacons on the market get better each year, and hopefully we are not far from a small thing like a USB-sized drive that allows smart phones to work as satellite phones and beacons. But, for now, we have the Delorme InReach SE.

Works like a SPOT finder, only you can email anyone from anywhere on the planet (as long as you aren't in a cave or something). They can also email you back!

They cost $250-300 depending on where you buy it. I ordered mine from REI and tested it a few times this summer using Lurch as my main guinea pig. He got the emails, which not only include the text you send, but automatically include precise lat/longs and a link to a very accurate map of where you were when you sent the message. You can zoom in on the map, look at it as a topo map, a street map, etc. Super handy.
People can message you back. You can get fancy and connect it to Twitter or Facebook so all your followers know where you are and that you are safe.
In the event of a true emergency, like a cougar attacked you and you are bleeding badly, you can use an S.O.S. function on it, which summons the nearest SAR or the Coast Guard or whatever rescue agency is nearby.

The whole thing works quite well, so what's the catch? Well, you do have to pay a monthly service fee and an initial sign-up fee. These are reasonable compared to other beacons on the market.

Why is Chase writing this long advertisement for this product? Because this thing could be the best money you ever spent. Think of it, you are with a friend deep in the forest, far from a cell signal, and your friend takes a bad fall. What would you spend to get your friend emergency help in that situation?
How much faster can you summon help with this device?
How easy is it on your spouse's mind if you have a minor injury and don't need SAR, but will be delayed a day?
What if you are out in the forest and an emergency happens at home? Your family/friends can contact you through this beacon.

More info here.

More info at the REI site.

jessbee

Re: Delorme InReach Beacon -Possibly the best $300 you can s

Post by jessbee » August 6th, 2013, 10:27 am

That looks really cool and useful. But the subscription prices are too much for me right now. I'll stick to my generation 1 SPOT until the price comes down :)

How is your testing going?
Will break trail for beer.

Blog and photos

Chase

Post by Chase » August 6th, 2013, 10:51 am

jessbee wrote:That looks really cool and useful. But the subscription prices are too much for me right now. I'll stick to my generation 1 SPOT until the price comes down :)

How is your testing going?
Testing is going well. I've sent messages to three different people successfully and I think I have the hang of it now. My subscription plan is $9.99/mo for ten messages, so you have to be careful how you use the messages (the youtube video is a little misleading on this point). It also cost $19.99 to get your subscription going.

I just think of the situation I could get myself into and how I might need someone's help (a friend if not badly injured, SAR if things are FUBAR) and how the cost would mean nothing to just get home safely.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 6th, 2013, 12:05 pm

That's pretty cool, I've been eyeing that too, like you said they get better every year

8 ounces with batteries - that's the same as my GPS.

100 hours on a set of batteries - that's plenty for any trip I'de do as long as I turned it off at night.

only problem is, it doesn't have a good display, so you need to also carry a smart phone to display topo map with your position. Maybe in another year or two

$120 per year for 10 messages a month. I assume that's send or receive, so if I did a 5 night trip once a month, I could send and receive a message each day to let my wife know I'm okay and she's okay.

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » August 6th, 2013, 7:27 pm

I'm glad the Inreach has finally been released--I understand it was delayed several months. I'm not quite ready to ditch my McMurdo Fastfind PLB, though. Give it another year and they'll have a gadget that does a song and dance to entertain you while you're waiting for rescue, and be half the weight to boot. The field is advancing so fast that you are highly unlikely to keep any PLB or similar for the full five years for which the battery is warranted.

It will be wonderful to be able to tell SAR exactly what the problem is--are you lost, have a broken leg or (as with the Grand Canyon party a couple of years ago) the water tastes bad--and know when they are coming to get you. They can also provide feedback on what you can do until they arrive. This two-way communication should be invaluable for both SAR and the person needing rescue and hopefully will prevent a lot of of the false alarm or "water tastes bad" sort of calls that result in unnecessary risks and expense to the SAR teams.

If I had nothing right now, I'd definitely get the Inreach, but since I do have the FastFind, I'll wait another year.

Crusak

Post by Crusak » August 6th, 2013, 8:37 pm

Okay, now that looks like a big improvement over some other emergency electronics. It would be neat to see a side-by-side comparison of InReach with SPOT - see which one performs better on a long hike with lots of challenging GPS reception terrain, like an Eagle-Tanner loop.

If I had $300 I'd be navigating to rei.com and buying one right now. :)

How good is the reception and tracking (especially in difficult areas like canyons, tree cover, etc)? Do you get a good track? Any problems with other people not being able to track you? I've been holding out on purchasing the SPOT device simply because everyone who owns the SPOT products has had problems with tracking and connecting.

Thanks for the great info Chase!
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Chase

Post by Chase » August 6th, 2013, 8:47 pm

No problems with reception in heavy canopy or valleys in the gorge. I tested it in buildings and it works about half the time, so I'm pretty impressed with its ability to beam up to the satellites.

potato

Post by potato » August 6th, 2013, 11:54 pm

I can definitely see the value in something like this and maybe I will invest in one at some point in the future.

But, I also can't help feeling that part of the reason I go backpacking alone is precisely not to connect with anyone I know. :)
self observing universe (main blog)
Joe hikes (PCT blog)
Laws of Nature (bandcamp)

jessbee

Post by jessbee » August 7th, 2013, 8:04 am

potato wrote:But, I also can't help feeling that part of the reason I go backpacking alone is precisely not to connect with anyone I know. :)
What, you don't want to tweet your location every 20 minutes on the trail? :)

I'm with you. But I do like these devices for their emergency uses. I hope I'll never need it, but it's nice to know it's there. The SPOT has given my friends and family peace of mind for the last 5 or so years that I've used it.
Will break trail for beer.

Blog and photos

Chase

Post by Chase » August 7th, 2013, 8:13 am

potato wrote:
But, I also can't help feeling that part of the reason I go backpacking alone is precisely not to connect with anyone I know. :)
A very good point. Nobody can send you messages unless you send them a message first or they have your special Delorme email address. I've given that address out to a few people and specifically asked them not to contact me unless it is an emergency at home, like the cat is dying, or I type "please reply" in my message to them. This also saves messages used.