In search of good hiking pants on a budget.

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
Grannyhiker

Re: In search of good hiking pants on a budget.

Post by Grannyhiker » November 14th, 2012, 7:28 pm

This was almost 30 years ago--the surplus store in Richland, WA got in a bunch of Air Force surplus tropical weight pants, 50% wool, 50% polyester. The waist had lots of adjustment room without affecting the waist band, so even we females could wear them without major alteration (just had restitch upper part of the back seam). The hiking club I belonged to then all looked as though we were in uniform from the waist down! I still have those pants and, except for slightly frayed cuffs, they still look great. The fabric is comfortable but it has worn like cast iron. It also dries really fast, nearly as fast as lightweight supplex nylon. They are a bit too warm in hot weather and heavier than my supplex nylon pants, so I haven't worn them much in recent years. I intend to use them this winter, though.

If that kind of stuff is still to be found in surplus stores, I strongly recommend it.

Also check places like Big 5 and other discount stores for supplex nylon. I have a pair with zip-off legs I got from Campmor.com. However, on cheap pants you really need to reinforce the crotch seam with an extra row or two of stitching, because that's what goes first! I decided I didn't like the zip-off legs, and I never wore them as shorts, so they are sitting in a drawer, too, awalting the inevitable repair of the crotch seam.

Nylon track/exercise pants from discount or big box stores can be good, too, although a bit lacking in pockets.

Koda

Post by Koda » November 14th, 2012, 7:47 pm

Billri9685 wrote:I'm looking to find a good pair of pants for Fall - Spring hiking. I'm on a bit of a budget and tend to be really hard on pants so it's hard to justify spending the money on the pants I've been finding at the outdoor stores. Does anyone have any suggestions on pants that have worked for them?
I have two suggestions.
1) any cheap nylon pant would work over some cheap synthetic long johns. Try Ross stores...
2) every year after hunting season is over Dicks sporting goods blows out their hunting clothes for up to 80% off. This includes some waterproof/breathable pants and jackets. last year, I picked up a pair of realtree camo waterproof breathable pants made by Field and Stream clothing for 25 bucks... They are actually lasting me this year since the rainy weather started, I'm pretty hard on hunting clothes since hunting for me is almost all bushwhacking usually in the coast range. If you can put up with the camo, this is a cheap option. In general, hunting is over by end of November the longer you wait the more the discounted price. I waited until ~mid Dec last year and got the last pant in my size... $25 bucks.

good on ya for identifying anything with cotton and staying clear.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

mayhem

Post by mayhem » November 14th, 2012, 10:32 pm

Pants? What kind of hiking are you planning? Last year I switched to shorts, for off trail, snowshoeing, and of course regular hiking so now pants are in my pack only for emergencies or if bedding for the night!
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

Billri9685

Post by Billri9685 » November 15th, 2012, 6:49 am

mayhem wrote:Pants? What kind of hiking are you planning? Last year I switched to shorts, for off trail, snowshoeing, and of course regular hiking so now pants are in my pack only for emergencies or if bedding for the night!
Everything! In all types of weather. I have snow pants for when things get really cold but I was looking for something for the other times. I've been wearing long johns and fleece pants which works alright but im looking for something a bit more durable.

I'm also in the process of trying to volunteer with PNWSAR so im looking for something that would hold up to that kind of use as well.

I'd really like to find a pair of cargo pants but all i've been finding are cotton blends. Im thinking I may just have to spend the money and get a good pair. I've never spent more then $20 on pants so im just having a hard time with the prices im seeing. Ultimately I need something that will last.

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » November 15th, 2012, 7:16 am

Yeah, I bet if I showed up to a MCSOSAR meeting in shorts and gaiters, I would be asked to leave
or come back with pants! :)

But I also usually pack dry pants in the pack as well and will use pants right off the bat if I know
I'm doing a lot of off trail or over grown trail...

I like what Kep said, Columbia Outlet over in Sellwood and LO are pretty cool even if the gear
is fake waterproofed, at least you wont over pay for fake waterproofing :)

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » November 15th, 2012, 4:38 pm

Hey Bill. I work with the USFS and Clackamas County Forests and Recreation in my spare time, and they all wear those military type of cargo pants. Also, most teams from MCSO SAR and CCSO SAR, as well as FEMA and CERT teams, SWAT and most OR/WA law enforcement use these types of BDU's. PM Lurch for more info. He is a training officer with Multnomah County Sheriff's Office SAR, one of the most respected SAR teams on the west coast. Before getting any gear, Pac NW SAR will give you a list of all required gear and their specs. This will aid you in your outdoor gear purchases. Hopefully this helps you.

Will

renegadepilgrim

Post by renegadepilgrim » November 16th, 2012, 12:09 am

Bash REI all you want, but if you buy something and it doesn't perform to your standards you can take it back, no questions asked. One of the main reasons I buy there first...oh, and I'm not a yuppy and I'm not rolling in dough...I watch sales and do my research...very rarely do I pay full price for anything in my backpack.

Andy & Bax, Next Adventure, Columbia Sportswear Outlet, and REI garage sale are all on my list of "go-to" places for discount gear. GearTrade.com, TheClymb.com, LeftLaneSports.com are all websites that offer good prices on stuff. I'm also fortunate to have a promotive account too, but not a lot of clothing options there.

If you ask nicely, I know people who work at Columbia/Mt Hardwear who sometimes give me passes to the Employee Store...I don't always "need" to buy new toys and the best part about it is if they don't have what you want, you can order it online for 50% off retail and they offer free shipping. I'd be happy to pass along a pass the next time I get one if you're interested.
Travel and Outdoor Adventure Website: http://www.renegadepilgrim.com
Instagram/Tumblr/Twitter: renegadepilgrim

Billri9685

Post by Billri9685 » November 16th, 2012, 6:38 am

renegadepilgrim wrote: If you ask nicely, I know people who work at Columbia/Mt Hardwear who sometimes give me passes to the Employee Store...I don't always "need" to buy new toys and the best part about it is if they don't have what you want, you can order it online for 50% off retail and they offer free shipping. I'd be happy to pass along a pass the next time I get one if you're interested.

Yes, I would be interested if you were able to do that. Thank you. It would be greatly appreciated

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » November 16th, 2012, 8:06 am

Great post RP!

And btw, the REI Winter Sale starts today, so I might see my REI buddy, TJT, down there shopping again! :)

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » November 16th, 2012, 5:32 pm

[quote
Last edited by forestkeeper on September 16th, 2013, 7:08 am, edited 2 times in total.