In search of good hiking pants on a budget.

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
Lumpy

Re: In search of good hiking pants on a budget.

Post by Lumpy » November 16th, 2012, 8:51 pm

ForestKeeper wrote:I have yet to see any survivalist, gun toting, EX-Copenhagen chewing, Hamms cheap beer drinking tailgate partying, Hank Williams Jr. heavy metal music blaring types, have you???
Just because you haven't been in there the same time I am doesn't mean folks as you describe don't shop there.

I shop at places that take excellent care of their customers. Next Adventure and REI tend to be places I go first. Next adventure if I'm willing to consider used gear that I can't find used elsewhere at the time or I know they have exactly what I'm looking for, and REI if I want to be covered by their great no questions asked guarantee.

I have never left either store unhappy about anything.
"Why are you always chasing women?"
"I'll tell you as soon as I catch one!"

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » November 17th, 2012, 3:00 am

:twisted: Ah, it's Friday night. I was just trying to get folks riled up. Especially, the "renegade pil...pil...pilgr...pilgrammm." REI is an awesome store if you like paying $2.49 for stale Clif bars when you can get them fresh at Fred Meyer for $.98 cents. Oh, and REI has really great customer service. But so does Tom Peterson and Gloria Too, Goodwill, The Salvation Army, and Jodie's Bar and Grill. And I love the Return Policy too. But I also love the same Return Policy at KMart, BiMart, Fred Meyer, Burger King, McDonald's, etc etc etc.

No, I still believe like minded individuals like to shop at like minded stores. It also seems while reading many Trip Reports, that while many of you get your rain gear at REI, I read so many times how often you get soaked through to the bones. Maybe all you nylon and silk people should settle for just some old fashioned rubber. That yellow cowboy slicker might not be as fashionable as the pinks, purples, and baby blue nylon rain gear that many of you wear, but it keeps you dry and it get's the job done. ;)

Get R Dun

renegadepilgrim

Post by renegadepilgrim » November 17th, 2012, 4:04 am

FK, I grew up 7 miles outside of Sandy...I know rednecks...and most of them don't have to posture on a forum like this to prove their "street cred"...

I think it's great you've found gear that works for you within your budget. No need to bash the rest of us who choose to shop local too. As I stated in my earlier post, there are many options to get affordable gear.

And please do not ASS-U-ME anything about me. This GMC-truck-driving-gun-toting-chick could probably teach you a thing or two if you weren't trying to stir the pot. :)
Travel and Outdoor Adventure Website: http://www.renegadepilgrim.com
Instagram/Tumblr/Twitter: renegadepilgrim

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » November 17th, 2012, 9:03 am

This may have been mentioned earlier in the thread, but don't forget to check out Goodwill stores. Good stuff can be found.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » November 17th, 2012, 2:46 pm

I guess I am just not fitting into someone's version of doing things the right way. Especially since they have known me for so long. :roll:

I guess I'll go start an oil or tire thread on a motorcycle forum so that I can find some common ground to enjoy. :lol:

See y'all!

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » November 17th, 2012, 3:41 pm

FK says some funny things sometimes

Don't let it offend you, just ignore

If that's what you're unhappy about, and same thing if it's someone else...

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » November 17th, 2012, 4:06 pm

Unhappy? For someone trying to offend me for free? :lol:

Wait until I have to pay something then I get offended, I'd recommend y'all sit back and watch the show! :twisted:

I hope I can make someone happy by wrapping my legs in dollar store plastic wrap for hiking rain pants. :P

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » November 17th, 2012, 4:08 pm

Waffle Stomper wrote:This may have been mentioned earlier in the thread, but don't forget to check out Goodwill stores. Good stuff can be found.
My very first hiking poles were a pair of ski poles I got from Goodwill for $5. I still have them but don't use them much anymore unless I need the rigidity they offer.

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » November 17th, 2012, 5:10 pm

:( :cry:
Last edited by forestkeeper on September 16th, 2013, 7:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » November 17th, 2012, 5:34 pm

Lumpy wrote:
I hope I can make someone happy by wrapping my legs in dollar store plastic wrap for hiking rain pants. :P
Used some Winco produce bags doubled up as my rain proofing for my fake waterproof hiking shoes for today's rain hike, and seemed to work really well until they slid too far down under the socks.
I think this qualifies as redneck tecnhique?

The other new thing I tried was Smartwool brand merino wool base layers, bought while
on sale at the REI winter sale! Wow, best stuff ever. Just wore the long johns under
my REI shorts mixed with my knee high OR G-tex gaiters and I was good to go down there.

Upper layer is another story which will appear soon in a TR, but both the mid weight base layers
did the job and it was cold with rain/sleet today up on Starvation Ridge to Defiance!

Not trying to stir the pot here and haven't had 1 little beer yet, but I am for sure hell not
rolling in yuppie money, maybe just enough to afford shopping once in awhile at REI,
but their return policy just cannot be beaten by many except maybe LL Bean!! :)

I love all you guys posting styles too and learn a lot from reading serious information
from GH/Jerry/Koda/Pilgrim etc . . .

You guys rock the PH!