In search of good hiking pants on a budget.

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
Guy

Re: In search of good hiking pants on a budget.

Post by Guy » November 18th, 2012, 1:07 pm

Which, BTW, has not only moved down the street to the west, but has changed from the old model. Not so much an "outlet" store as a factory store. IOW, high priced retail store with a few goodies at lower prices.
Apparently Danner Boots are the hot fashion in Japan these days were they cost 2 to 3 times what they do here! Last year we had some friends visit, that was the first place they wanted to go! The store clerk told me that they have people who fly over to Porltand just to shop at their store taking back up to 12 pairs at a time!
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » November 18th, 2012, 2:09 pm

:) You know, after looking at myself in pictures (not the home movie that Roger Patterson shot off the back of his horse in 1967), I don't really like the looks of wearing BDU's. The side cargo pockets are pretty big, so it makes a person appear like he has big legs. I know my legs are slightly larger than EP's, Crusak's and Mayhem's, but I want to somewhat look fit. I already need to go to Bosley's or maybe start with the Rogaine scalp injections. I tried auditioning for Star Trek the Next Generation as Wharf's (the Klingon) brother but they told me I was about 15 years to late and that I should try the new Aliens vs Predator, maybe. But in all seriousness, I am serious by the way, I would like to find some good hiking pants that would stretch while you are humping over logs. Nothing like lifting one leg over the log when "RIPPPPP." Oh no! I'm like 6 miles in and there just happens to be an all women church social heading my way.

Any ideas on what type of hiking pants that would be good for Harry (and the Hendersons)(everywhere except the top of the scalp), that would allow a little flexibility, be durable and make my body look like Brad Pitt? Also be waterproof or resistant around the shins/calves?

FK

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » November 18th, 2012, 2:18 pm

REI has a bunch of nylon pants for $30 to $50 - Winter sale until 11/26

Just get big enough ones for you to raise your legs

Not waterproof, but they dry quickly

I know nothing about style:)

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » November 18th, 2012, 2:21 pm

You may have to settle for larger pants than you need/want in order to have the ability to move how you desire without fear of ripping. The other option would be to have a piece of stretch material of your choice sewn in to make an elongated diamond shaped gusset that will stretch very easily. These pants with this kind of gusset may already be made commercially, and you will probably be charged appropriately. ;)
"Why are you always chasing women?"
"I'll tell you as soon as I catch one!"

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » November 18th, 2012, 2:48 pm

Forest Keeper, I had a pair of ancient pants rip from stem to stern (waistband down to mid-thigh) on a trip summer before last. I was trying to get the most possible wear out of them, but that was one trip too many! I tied my windshirt around my waist, tying the sleeves together in front and letting the jacket hang down over my rear, which more or less preserved modesty. My backpack helped cover part of the area, too. I did, as usual, have a pair of jeans in my car to change into; good thing because my grandson, who was with me, of course insisted on stopping at the first pizza place on the way home!

There are some pants that have lycra (stretch) in them, but of course those are the more expensive variety!

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » November 18th, 2012, 4:58 pm

:) Thanks for the advice everyone and I'm glad I'm not the only one with embarrassing moments Granny. Hopefully my questions and all of your invaluable advice will help Mike too. ;)

renegadepilgrim

Post by renegadepilgrim » November 18th, 2012, 10:30 pm

If you ever get down to Eugene/Springfield area, there is a Cabela's there, just off the I-5 in the shopping mall area. Word on the street they were supposed to put one in down by Oregon City, but I heard that got put on hold. Try Goodwill, Value Village and Salvation Army too...you'd be surprised what you can find there sometimes. I've gotten Patagonia, ExOfficio and REI stuff there before.
Travel and Outdoor Adventure Website: http://www.renegadepilgrim.com
Instagram/Tumblr/Twitter: renegadepilgrim

TJ_T

Post by TJ_T » November 18th, 2012, 11:58 pm

Eric Peterson wrote:Great post RP!

And btw, the REI Winter Sale starts today, so I might see my REI buddy, TJT, down there shopping again! :)
I think I missed the REI sale!!

Too busy prepping for Thanksgiving a couple of blocks down the street....
I take pictures sometimes. And sometimes I post them here:
http://www.tjthornephotography.com
and
http://500px.com/TjThorne
and
https://www.facebook.com/tjthornephotography

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » November 20th, 2012, 11:47 am

:( Sometimes it is really hard to find hiking pants, or any kind for that matter, because I wear a 40 (waist)
38 (inseam). The majority of all stores just carry an inseam of 32, rarely 34. Big & Tall stores have a lie in their title. It is big only. Just a side note: the Portland Outdoor Store, in downtown Portland, took a measurement of my head a few years ago (I bought a Tom Selleck cowboy hat, Tom Slick customized), my head is exactly 24 " around. I guess no one makes sizes for vikings anymore. ;)

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » November 20th, 2012, 1:21 pm

In boys' sizes, nobody carries "slim" sizes any more. My DIL (whose kids are skinny) has an awful time finding jeans to fit her boys. If they are small enough in the waist and hips, the legs are way too short!

As a shorty who is definitely not petite, I have the same problem as the big and tall folks--it's really hard to find anything that fits in outdoor clothing. There ain't no such thing as a size 14 or 16 petite--I always have to hem up the legs. Both ends of the spectrum get left out!

At least I'm not in as bad a fix as those over 6'4" tall, who are too tall for "tall" size sleeping bags and have trouble finding tents in which they don't bump into the walls at both ends