Drawing GPS tracks for estimated mileage/eg

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
TJ_T

Drawing GPS tracks for estimated mileage/eg

Post by TJ_T » June 14th, 2012, 11:41 am

Hey..

So I know some of you draw tracks out to see how long some hikes are going to be and the EG that they'll pick up. How are you doing it?

I tried it in gmap but it doesn't zoom in enough to be able to follow the trail closely.

Is it your GPS software?

Lemmy in!
I take pictures sometimes. And sometimes I post them here:
http://www.tjthornephotography.com
and
http://500px.com/TjThorne
and
https://www.facebook.com/tjthornephotography

potato

Re: Drawing GPS tracks for estimated mileage/eg

Post by potato » June 14th, 2012, 11:46 am

Try hillmap.com ?
self observing universe (main blog)
Joe hikes (PCT blog)
Laws of Nature (bandcamp)

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 14th, 2012, 12:56 pm

I just use "Mapsource", the software that came with my Garmin GPS. I think they changed the name.

Lurch

Post by Lurch » June 14th, 2012, 1:07 pm

Throw it in Google Earth, probably the best for free.. and you can save and catalog! ;)

potato

Post by potato » June 14th, 2012, 4:12 pm

Do you have to use the standalone version of google earth to do stuff with .gpx? I couldn't figure out how to load a .gpx in my browser GE.
self observing universe (main blog)
Joe hikes (PCT blog)
Laws of Nature (bandcamp)

Lurch

Post by Lurch » June 14th, 2012, 4:57 pm

Yeah standalone GE

There is a browser based version of it, but it's extremely limited. The stand alone version has always been pretty simple for me.
  1. Plug GPS into computer
  2. Open GE
  3. Go to Tools > GPS
  4. Set your settings as needed
  5. Import
  6. ???
  7. Profit!

Koda

Post by Koda » June 14th, 2012, 6:12 pm

TJ_T wrote:Hey..

So I know some of you draw tracks out to see how long some hikes are going to be and the EG that they'll pick up. How are you doing it?

I tried it in gmap but it doesn't zoom in enough to be able to follow the trail closely.

Is it your GPS software?

Lemmy in!
the easiest FREE option is to use Hillmap.com. Keep in mind with any browser type freehand draw tool your connecting the dots... so distance and EG etc. is not going to be 100% accurate per map but Hillmap lets you zoom in enough to yeild good estimates.

The best software I've used regarding accuracy is National Geographic TOPO where you can trace a fluid line over a trail... the problem with NG TOPO though is it wont let you export your efforts as a track to your GPS. (you can export a "route" but there is a difference between a route and a track, routes are almost worthless IMO). Their might be better options with other proprietary software like Mapsource.

I haven't played much with Google Earth other than to just look around in 3D to comment...

I started a thread a while back listing all the options for digital mapping applications, you might find interesting.... http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... =15&t=5999
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Lurch

Post by Lurch » June 14th, 2012, 6:21 pm

Oh wait, I may have missread...

Do you want to import tracks *from* your GPS, or *to* your GPS?

GE won't put stuff on your GPS as far as I know... or at least I've never monkeyed with it.. MapTech Terrain Navigator Pro has been my software of choice, but that's far from free.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » June 14th, 2012, 6:38 pm

I use NG Topo for a quick estimate and it's pretty good but not perfect. You can turn the track you draw on the map into up to 250 track points and that is plenty for most of my adventures where I need something like that. On the upcoming Looney Hike this Saturday, there is about 4 miles off-trail and I have it logged in with a track point about every 85 feet. ((5280X4)/250)

The "not perfect" part is that the USGS maps do not have the contour data underlaying the basic map info perfectly alligned - especially in very steep terrain. When you draw a track next to a steep cliff the data track will bounce up and down and give you way more elevation than is accurate. 99% of the time in most terrain, though, it is almost dead on. Worth it, IMO.

Topo only costs $50/state and that's a darn good deal.

My 2 cents.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Koda

Post by Koda » June 14th, 2012, 7:03 pm

Lurch wrote:Oh wait, I may have missread...

Do you want to import tracks *from* your GPS, or *to* your GPS?
I should not speak for TJ_T but I think he just wants to estimate distance and EG.
Don Nelsen wrote: Topo only costs $50/state and that's a darn good deal.
It used to cost $100 per state... which I ponied up for back then. I think it's gone down due to the free browser applications etc. I can say I've got my money out of NG TOPO back then it was all I knew of but now it only excels as the best print utility (I still cant figure out printing from any of the browser utilities including Hillmap). Other than printing I don't use it anymore. If I was to buy mapping software I'd get Topofusion.... $40 and it covers the whole world.

I can draw a "route" in Hillmap (or other) with better accuracy than NG TOPO because I get to place each point exactly where it is critical and omit ones more obvious. TOPO spaces out your route points based on spacing percentage (so better accuracy is a result of more waypoints).... in the end its much easier to view a track line on any GPS device vs 'connecting the dots' IMO of course, I'd go nuts being glued to my GPS navigation mode following route points.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2