How to pack the tent after breaking the camp

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
pdxnewbie

How to pack the tent after breaking the camp

Post by pdxnewbie » July 7th, 2012, 10:38 am

I just came back from Yellowstone National Park, the last night it rained quite a bit and my rainfly had water on it. I just packed it in a plastic bag since I was returning hom next morning. How do you folks care for your tents.

1. How do you fold and pack it when moving camp to camp
2. How do manage when its wet (common case in PNW)
3. How do you prepare it to be stored after getting it back home.

thanks.

Koda

Re: How to pack the tent after breaking the camp

Post by Koda » July 7th, 2012, 10:54 am

1. Never fold your tent (or any fabric gear item). Folding creates creases that tear eventually, always 'stuff' your tent.
2. when its raining there is not much you can do to keep the tent dry, when it wet i pack mine in an outside pocket
3. At home i just hang mine on an indoor clothes line to air dry. never store a damp tent of course. Air drying can take several days especially if its not summer.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

texasbb

Post by texasbb » July 7th, 2012, 11:16 am

1. Exactly the same as when it's dry. For mine, that's tri-fold then roll, 'cause that's how it fits in its stuff sack. I could stuff it instead, but folding/rolling gives me a chance to knock the major crud off the bottom as I'm putting it away. (Re folding/creasing, I say if you can fold a tent so you're creasing the same spots every time, your OCD issues are bigger than your tent issues. :lol: )
2. When it's wet I put it in an outside mesh pocket, same as when it's dry. If you don't have an outside mesh pocket, uh, why not? :)
3. Roll it out on the back deck and let it dry, then tri-fold and roll.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 7th, 2012, 11:18 am

+1 Koda

Shake it off as well as possible

I stuff my tent in a plastic bag. If it's real wet I'll put it outside the pack. Normally, I put the tent inside my pack next to my back for padding. I can think of a time where water leaked out onto my sleeping bag, but no big deal.

I just hang it inside garage until the next trip, which is normally within a month.

If you pack a tent inside for months, if it's just slightly damp like you might hardly notice, it'll smell terrible and perhaps be unusable when you next take it out to use. Let it dry out for several weeks.

forester

Post by forester » July 7th, 2012, 12:19 pm

When heading home from camp, I just chuck it in a garbage bag. I'll be home in a couple hours anyway. Then I set it up in the back yard or garage for a couple days to dry out or make cleaning easier.

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » July 7th, 2012, 2:40 pm

I like to pack my tent on the outside the pack, too. If it's raining when I want to set up camp, I can get it out to set up without exposing the inside of my pack to rain. If it's raining when I pack up, I can pack everything up inside the tent, move the pack outside and stick the tent in the outside pocket last thing. My pack has two long outside pockets that are perfect for a compact lightweight tent. (My water bottle goes in the other side.) It's also handy if there's a sun break mid-day and I want to dry the tent out.

Those of my tents that have permanent short ridge poles in the seams (Tarptent Squall 2 and Rainshadow 2) I fold. Those that have no inside poles to worry about, I stuff.

pdxnewbie

Post by pdxnewbie » July 7th, 2012, 7:48 pm

thanks folks, I live in an apartment and have no garage, can I leave the tent/rainfly/ground cloth for few days to dry in the patio befoe stowing them away (since getting sun in OR for 9 months is kind of difficult)

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » July 7th, 2012, 11:34 pm

In wet weather, I spread mine out in the living room to dry. In dry weather the patio should work just fine. Drape it over your patio furniture. Don't forget to turn it inside out to dry the inside as well as the outside. I do have a garage, but it's kinda full without the tent!