GPS Recommendations

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
mjirving

Re: GPS Recommendations

Post by mjirving » January 20th, 2015, 8:20 pm

The new iPhones have a barometer that they market as being able to accurately provide for proper fitness credit in the various health apps for climbing stairs and such. I wonder if the GPS apps will start taking advantage of that too for greater accuracy.

GoalTech/Mike

CampinCarl

Post by CampinCarl » January 20th, 2015, 9:25 pm

Thanks for all of the info.

I have wanted a dedicated GPS but haven't bit the bullet. I also get by fine with my pay as you go dumb phone and am not looking to spend $50/month for a smartphone plan + any upfront phone cost. I am tempted by a third alternative:

Globalsat ND-105C Micro USB GPS Receiver ~$34

For this experiment, I would use a cheap android tablet that I already have that lacks a GPS chip, get the GPS receiver, and download a GPS app. I'd probably get a "tough" case too. I would expect battery life to be an issue, but as others have said, I could get an external battery pack if needed. Also, if the tablet is a dud it's not a huge loss. An additional benefit might be that I don't need to remember to put the tablet in airplane mode.

Thoughts?

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » January 21st, 2015, 5:13 am

It looks like it would work, however I would have two concerns:

1 - It would be quite a bit heavier and bulkier (a tablet is a lot bigger than a phone or regular GPS).
2 - I would be very concerned about that dongle getting hit and broken off

Another alternative would be to get an iPod touch and then get a case for it - it is essentially an iPhone without the phone, but it lacks the GPS - I have no experience with it, but based on this article, you can add it with a tough case from Magellan:

http://gps.about.com/od/mobilephonegps/ ... ch-GPS.htm

Here is the case:

http://www.magellangps.com/lp/toughcase/index.html

But then you are over $200 and in the neighborhood of a "real" GPS.

My opinion is if you don't have a smartphone, invest in a good dedicated GPS. You won't be disappointed. Phones are great (if you have them), but dedicated units are still better I think.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » January 21st, 2015, 6:11 am

If you want to carry a cell phone anyway, then maybe smart phone would be better. You can send and receive text messages which can be done with weaker cell signal. And you get the GPS.

But the GPS isn't quite as good so you'll lose acquisition occasionally? And battery doesn't last as long? Weighs a little less than cell phone + dedicated GPS? Display on phone is better?

Koda

Post by Koda » January 21st, 2015, 8:49 am

CampinCarl wrote:Thanks for all of the info.

I have wanted a dedicated GPS but haven't bit the bullet. I also get by fine with my pay as you go dumb phone and am not looking to spend $50/month for a smartphone plan + any upfront phone cost. I am tempted by a third alternative:

Globalsat ND-105C Micro USB GPS Receiver ~$34

For this experiment, I would use a cheap android tablet that I already have that lacks a GPS chip, get the GPS receiver, and download a GPS app. I'd probably get a "tough" case too. I would expect battery life to be an issue, but as others have said, I could get an external battery pack if needed. Also, if the tablet is a dud it's not a huge loss. An additional benefit might be that I don't need to remember to put the tablet in airplane mode.

Thoughts?
Whats the price of a tough case for a tablet? I think there are some basic dedicated GPS devices under $150 new. Hiking with a tablet is less than ideal for map use.

Interesting find though, that USB receiver looks pretty good.

Another option is to upgrade your pay as you go phone to an Android pay as you go
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

miah66

Post by miah66 » January 21st, 2015, 9:03 am

Koda wrote:Another option is to upgrade your pay as you go phone to an Android pay as you go
+1

I only recently got a smartphone, when I bought a Verizon, no contract, month to month phone (Samsung Galaxy Legend) for about $80. Then the plan was about $50/mo. So for $130 you can have a GPS. It was a great little phone. I later upgraded to a Galaxy S4, but I still have the Legend, and would sell it if you're interested.

"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

greenjello85

Post by greenjello85 » January 30th, 2015, 11:08 pm

I haven't used any of the newer standalone Gps units but I love the GPS functions using back country navigator with my galaxy s5. I haven't compared a particular track side by side, but all my EG's on my tracks have seemed reasonable to me. I also use it as my only camera. I generally keep it in airplane mode unless I'm on a peak and need to let my wife know I haven't been eaten :) I rarely drop below 50%battery life on 15 mile day hikes. I take probably 70-80 pictures per hike. It's waterproof, dust proof and has an otteebox for drop resistance. It has gotten Gps signal literally everywhere I have been, under canopies, in deep canyons, wherever.

I don't know how to do any fancy functions but I can download maps, record tracks and look at my stats. Also, today I found I can set a way point, and take a picture that is linked to that way point! How cool is that? :lol: