Camping chair for inside tent

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
dirt farmer

Camping chair for inside tent

Post by dirt farmer » October 21st, 2014, 2:39 pm

I am looking for a nice chair to use inside of my car camping tent, for reading during those rainy nights.

I don't want anything that could jeopardize the integrity of the tent floor. So I am guessing chairs with four "feet" are out. How about barred legs?

I am pondering a GCI Everywhere Chair. What do you think, as far as the bottom bar adversely affecting the tent floor? I have a hunch it would be fine.

https://www.gcioutdoor.com/outdoor-recl ... -chair.htm

p.s., I have a nice R.E.I. 3.5 Camp Bed as a mattress, but I am truly looking for a more upright position in which to read.

What do you use?

adamschneider

Re: Camping chair for inside tent

Post by adamschneider » October 21st, 2014, 2:43 pm

How about something like a Crazy Creek chair?

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » October 21st, 2014, 2:45 pm

I was just going to suggest the crazy creek. I like mine, you sit fairly upright.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

raven

Post by raven » October 21st, 2014, 9:57 pm

I've used the Crazy Creek style with my sleeping bag over my legs and a down jacket on. I'm not sure you could stay warm readily using the GCI chair in the fall or spring.

miah66

Post by miah66 » October 22nd, 2014, 9:29 am

I have a Alite "butterfly" chair. It uses two rubber padded feet and you balance on it. Might be fine inside the tent since you sit pretty low in it. It only weighs 1 lb.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

mcds

Post by mcds » October 22nd, 2014, 1:31 pm

I'd select on comfort because even for a conventional four leg chair, all that is needed are some discs to distribute the weight, say 6 inch diameter 1/4" or 1/2" plywood discs with empty dolphin-free tuna cans nailed to the top side center to keep the legs from slipping off. On the bottomside, bend over the nails, then use double stick tape to adhere soles of foam rubber soles cut from a yoga mat or sleeping pad.

Or skip the DIY. Bean bag chairs, or inflatable chairs, maybe one with various possibilities, such as this one.
Last edited by mcds on October 22nd, 2014, 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 22nd, 2014, 1:49 pm

ha, ha, ha,....

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » October 22nd, 2014, 2:29 pm

How about just using a normal cheap portable chair, but with a sheet of sturdy cardboard under the feet?

mcds

Post by mcds » October 22nd, 2014, 2:35 pm

might work, but my guess is its too compressible to serve as padding and not stiff enough to distribute the weight ... the PSI would be something like 4 times that of walking around in the tent flatfooted with shoes.

raven

Post by raven » October 22nd, 2014, 3:43 pm

In a tent, on a rainy night -- considering buying a 6 pound steel chair... What size tent and how is it heated?