Alternative Bags for the Sawyer Squeeze

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
RobinB

Re: Alternative Bags for the Sawyer Squeeze

Post by RobinB » October 2nd, 2014, 8:35 am

Has anyone had a Sawyer clog so badly that it can't be flushed out with the syringe? I've just been flushing whenever things slow down at all, and so far haven't had any issues whatsoever. I also sometimes "pre-filtered" water through cloth to clear out obvious big stuff (dirt, sediment, some silt). Maybe that's helped?

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 2nd, 2014, 9:15 am

I don't think big stuff is a problem - it's big so easily backflushed

Someone at backpackinglight.com had a clogged filter. Backflushing wouldn't work either. Warm water and/or vinegar, like GH said, fixed it.

Backflush before and after every trip.

If you don't backflush after, then stuff might dry onto filter or stuff could grow on it. Backflushing with tap water that has a little chlorine will leave chlorine in filter to prevent stuff from growing, plus backflushing will wash away most nutrients that growing stuff likes.

Backflush before next trip to make sure it works. If it doesn't, then use warm water/vinegar.

If you put too much chlorine into filter it seems like it might clog it. Chlorine water, dried, will leave residue. Chlorine is basic. Vinegar is acidic so will wash this away.

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » October 2nd, 2014, 12:13 pm

Chlorine Dioxide treatments like Aqua Mira can also improve the taste of funky water, kill viruses. I carry it as a backup to the Sawyer filter. ClO2 takes time to work, and if the water is cold, longer.
"Why are you always chasing women?"
"I'll tell you as soon as I catch one!"

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » October 2nd, 2014, 12:55 pm

If you assume the filter will take out protozoa (giardia and cryptosporidium) and bacteria, then all that's left are viruses that the ClO2 will kill in about 15-20 minutes. The long contact times required for ClO2 used alone are to kill protozoan cysts. (All this from the CDC.)

Assuming you've had your hepatitis A and polio shots, the most common contagious viruses these days are the Norovirus group. They won't kill you but will make you wish they would! (Personal experience here.) The Noroviruses are common and contagious--they have shown up among Appalachian Trail hikers in almost epidemic proportions the last few summers. Even more important than water treatment is frequent hand-washing (always after toilet functions and before handling any food) and not sharing food (someone's unwashed hands in your trail mix bag can ruin your whole trip).

As Jerry points out, don't get too paranoid about the water. If it's an emergency, do go ahead and drink water from the source. Dehydration can disable you very quickly and kill you in a day or two! If you should get giardia from the untreated water, symptoms won't show up for about 10 days, by which time you'll be safely home and close to medical care.

Troutdale's water is from wells, and I don't think it's chlorinated--at least it tastes a lot better than Portland water, which I can't stand due to the chlorine taste. The well water probably has more minerals, too, which is probably why my Squeeze blocked up after testing it at home. Just backflushing didn't do much to clear it; I had to soak it in a white vinegar solution. Of course compared to the water in eastern Washington (where I used to live), the mineral content is extremely small!

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » October 3rd, 2014, 10:15 am

Grannyhiker wrote:Even more important than water treatment is frequent hand-washing (always after toilet functions and before handling any food) and not sharing food (someone's unwashed hands in your trail mix bag can ruin your whole trip).
I heed this warning with a level of religious zealotry that would put militant extremists to shame. On trail, I don't shake hands, handle other's food or water gear, or let anyone handle mine. I pretty much avoid touching other people's stuff if at all possible. It's hard to enjoy a trip doubled over from cramps and putting the backpack down every ten minutes to run into the woods again. I often reek of that chemically sweet fragrance from the hand sanitizer gel.
"Why are you always chasing women?"
"I'll tell you as soon as I catch one!"

drm

Post by drm » October 5th, 2014, 8:18 am

Lumpy wrote:I heed this warning with a level of religious zealotry that would put militant extremists to shame.
If I ever see you on the trail, I will remember just to wave. :P

I generally am pretty lax and quite frequently drink water directly from the source. But I do have my set of rules as to when I will do so. And after a trip early this summer where I found myself using my backup purification (iodine tablets) more often than I liked and dealing with the waiting, I bought my first filter - sawyer mini. I use an old 1 liter Platypus that I've had for years and the seal is adequate. I thought I remember reading somewhere that standard store-bought water bottles work (I don't ever buy them so I can't test that).

Double Tree

Post by Double Tree » October 14th, 2014, 4:35 pm

The Outdoor Products bags (available at Walmart) have compatible threads. I carry one for camp-storage of clean water, and as backup to the blue Sawyer bag that I use for dirty water.

So far, I haven't had a Sawyer bag break on me, but I believe I bought "second generation" bags. The outer layer of thin plastic did delaminate from the bag - but I just peeled it off, and it looks and works just fine. No signs of unusual wear or imminent breakage.

I use a Smartwater flip-top cap on the Outdoor Products bag, which also serves to backflush the filter if needed on a trip. Much less bulky than the syringe.

I keep a small baggy with my kit, in case of freezing temperatures that necessitate that I sleep with the filter in my sleeping bag.

Kelly

nwfotobug

Post by nwfotobug » January 13th, 2015, 2:29 pm

RobinB wrote:Has anyone had a Sawyer clog so badly that it can't be flushed out with the syringe? I've just been flushing whenever things slow down at all, and so far haven't had any issues whatsoever. I also sometimes "pre-filtered" water through cloth to clear out obvious big stuff (dirt, sediment, some silt). Maybe that's helped?
I've honestly never had that problem. I have used my sawyer for a couple of years, and have never had any problems with it. Other than it can be a lot of trips to water, when you are supplying a large group of Boy Scouts. But I dont mind as I appreciate the light weight.
Living the life outdoors
http://outwithkris.blogspot.com/