To pole or not to pole...

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
Chazz

To pole or not to pole...

Post by Chazz » September 30th, 2014, 9:51 am

I see a lot of people here on the forums carrying and using trekking poles.

Having never used or carried them, why do you use them?

What are considerations if you were to purchase new ones?

Do you wield them all the time or just over rough or unstable terrain?

-Chazz

Lumpy

Re: To pole or not to pole...

Post by Lumpy » September 30th, 2014, 10:00 am

I use them 95% of the time. They help me stay stable, reduce ankle twisting, and use some upper body strength for uphills and downhills. I have not injured my ankles quite as much when using them, and I have some bad ankles. I either have to make sure I have poles, or ankle wraps, when doing anything other than flat level path hiking.
"Why are you always chasing women?"
"I'll tell you as soon as I catch one!"

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » September 30th, 2014, 11:06 am

I don't have specific ankle or knee issues, and so I usually use them only in special cases:
  • steep and rugged bushwhacks
  • long stretches of snow
  • really long descents where they make it easier on the legs (South Sister) or allow for greater speed with less danger of tumbling ass-over-applecart (Starvation Ridge)
When I need them, I'm damn glad I have them. But on normal terrain, they just get in the way when I want to take photos.

They can also get in the way if you get into 3rd/4th-class scrambling where you need your hands; if the scrambling in question is on a summit block, I usually just leave my poles (and sometimes my whole backpack) behind and pick them up on the way down.
Last edited by adamschneider on September 30th, 2014, 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

raven

Post by raven » September 30th, 2014, 11:20 am

Poles are also forward propulsion when crossing jello-like surfaces like some tundra or some swamps/shallow ponds.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » September 30th, 2014, 11:29 am

When I have experimented with trekking poles I have found them to be of real use for me on steep, uneven trails and during the more challenging types of stream crossings. They provide extra points of contact and lend me much more stability. They get my arm muscles involved, so that my legs don't have to do all the work of lifting me uphill or braking my descent.

However, when I am hiking on fairly normal trails, without a steep incline or a difficult surface (very broken, rocky, or slippery, such as a snow field, etc.), which is most of the time, I find they just get in my way and I carry them along without using them. Not much point in that.

I don't have any issues with my knees, ankles or hips. I have pretty decent balance. If I did have those issues, I'd certainly be using trekking poles, and praising them to the sky. If you like to charge ahead at maximum speed when you are on the trail they can be used as if they were Nordic ski poles to help propel you forward, but I never feel a need to charge down the trail at top speed.

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » September 30th, 2014, 11:48 am

I definitely need at least one pole at all times. The one that has my magnet for attaching my selfie cam and taking group mob pics :)

Seriously though, this past spring I left the poles at home and ended up with a super bad ankle roll. Coincidence? I think not.

Poles are also great for vaulting across streams, or just vaulting in general when using the straps...

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » September 30th, 2014, 11:58 am

I carry them almost always, only putting them away for the most crazy of scrambles. I guess I do use them less on flat runs, but find them immensely useful on slopes, uneven territory, crossings, slick surfaces, yadda yadda yadda. As said above, they do allow you to transfer some propulsion from your upper body on climbs, and as a side-benefit of that offer more of a whole-body workout. (I've read burning up to 30% more calories!) They're never in my way, since I use the straps and can let go of them without a thought.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

jdemott

Post by jdemott » September 30th, 2014, 12:19 pm

I always carry poles, but I don't use them all the time. I use them for:

Improving my balance anywhere I'm concerned, such as climbing across rocks or stream crossings (my sense of balance is poor and the poles give me a lot of confidence).

Guarding against ankle turns on rough terrain.

A little extra push on a steep climb.

Guarding against slipping on steep downhill grades, particularly with loose rocks or mud (very helpful here!)

Pointing at landmarks, clearing cobwebs, fighting dragons, or anything else....

texasbb

Post by texasbb » September 30th, 2014, 3:19 pm

I always carry them, always use them (except for specific scrambling situations, etc.), always will, wish I always had. Have to use them correctly, though, or they don't carry their weight.

turtle

Post by turtle » September 30th, 2014, 3:24 pm

Most of the stuff above-I like dragons- and they are my tent poles. They can be a bit of a hassle getting in the way at times but overall they are every trip gear for me. They have saved my butt on more than one occasion. For about $25 you can get a cheap set and see if you like them without breaking the bank.
Summer breezes caressed me, my legs stepped forward as though possessed of their own appetite, and the mountains kept promising. Rebecca Solnit