Silver Star view threatened by High Power Transmission Lines

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
Ryan Ojerio

Silver Star view threatened by High Power Transmission Lines

Post by Ryan Ojerio » August 26th, 2010, 4:51 pm

Earlier this month the Bonneville Power Administration (BPA) released a new map of possible power line segments for its I-5 Corridor Reinforcement project. The map includes new potential route segments in eastern Clark County farther from population centers. However these routes slice through the Western Yacolt Recreation Area.

The eastern route is particularly worrisome as it would impact the view shed from Silver Star Mt., cross the Tarbell Trail system multiple times, and impinge on plans to construct 17 miles of new non-motorized trails in the area.

These maps show the options under consideration. Both the eastern and western routes are primarily on DNR lands through the Western Yacolt Burn between Camas and Yacolt. The eastern route would have significant impacts to trail users.
Yacolt_Burn_SilverStarView_W.jpg
The eastern route would cut right through the view shed from Silver Star Mt. and cross the Tarbell Trail multiple times.
Yacolt_Burn_SilverStarView_E.jpg
The western route option would go either NE or NW just before Moulton Falls on its way to Castle Rock.
Yacolt_Burn_Overview.jpg
Updated materials are posted on the project website at: http://www.bpa.gov/go/i5 Public meetings to learn more and provide input are also scheduled. The open-house style meeting in Vancouver will be on August 31st from 4-7pm at Skyview High School 1300 NW 139th St. Vancouver, WA. You may also submit comments online at http://www.bpa.gov/go/i5 or send letters to I-5 Corridor Reinforcement Project, PO Box 9250 Portland, OR 97207.

From the BPA Letter:
The new map further refines years of preliminary examination of routes for the proposed new transmission line. The proposed project is needed to resolve a critical electric bottleneck that could otherwise lead to outages in southwest Washington and northwest Oregon as early as 2016. No new high-voltage power lines have been built in the area in more than four decades, although the area population has doubled.

Background:

The limited capacity of high-voltage power lines in the I-5 corridor has become a bottleneck in meeting increasing demand for power in the Portland/Vancouver metro area, especially in summer. BPA has used new technology to squeeze more capacity out of the lines, but they are now stretched to their limit. BPA is increasingly concerned about outages in coming years as demand on the lines mounts and has proposed this new line to maintain reliable power deliveries.

BPA has received almost 8,000 comments from landowners, stakeholders and agencies so far in its public review process. Those comments informed the changes in the new map. While many community groups and residents recognized the general need for the line, they requested that BPA identify additional options for routes that avoid populated areas. BPA is now preparing a careful examination of each route. This analysis will be detailed in a draft Environmental Impact Statement to be published in 2011.
Washington Trails Association
Southwest Washington Regional Manager
[email protected]
(360) 722-2657

retired jerry

Re: Silver Star view threatened by High Power Transmission Lines

Post by retired jerry » August 26th, 2010, 5:50 pm

A few months ago I went to Siouxon Creek and I remember lots of anti-BPA signs at people's residences.

Since then, I heard they re-routed the proposed high power transmission lines further East to minimize impact to residences.

I guess this re-route impacts the Silver Star views.

I'm kind of conflicted, because we need the electricity.

It seems better to impact a hiking trail than someones home.

Maybe there's an area for the line in between?

Charley

Post by Charley » August 26th, 2010, 8:23 pm

Yeah- all those "no BPA on private land" really mean "put BPA on the public forest land". It's a complicated issue, huh? I kind of think that BPA shouldn't build a big new line. We should save both our wild and rural places. There's gotta be a way.
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

Ryan Ojerio

Post by Ryan Ojerio » August 27th, 2010, 8:52 am

Here is my take on the issue. The options that would have impacted the most residents have been taken off the table. So the decision is about routes that are already mostly on DNR lands and Private Timber lands. Both the east and the west corridor options will impact residents that live within or next to DNR lands in the Western Yacolt Forest. The decision at hand is which corridor will have the least impact on a valuable public resource. I think it is clear that the western most corridor would have the least impact on recreation and be the best public value.

Here are my thoughts on public vs. private sacrifices for the greater good.
Any public infrastructure project requires some individuals to make sacrifices for the greater good. In this case homeowner's property along the power line will lose value, and they may not want to live next to transmission lines that may have health consequences. Residents along the corridor should receive compensation for the "taking" of their property and that compensation should come from all those who benefit from the increased security and availability of electricity. Of course the value of someones emotional connection to their home is hard to put in dollars so this isn't going to be entirely fair. We're still asking residents to make a sacrifice.

The upside is that private individuals can relocate and their sacrifice will be limited. But when you impact a public resource it is forever altered and the opportunity cost is extracted from each successive generation. The value of a scenic vista is really hard to pin down. But what is very clear is that the value lost would be given up by every person each time they look out across the landscape from Silver Star Mt. from now until the power lines are taken down or people no longer hike there.
[email protected]
(360) 722-2657

Stevefromdodge

Post by Stevefromdodge » August 27th, 2010, 9:04 am

I'm grumbly about this entire process. The mindset from the start has been "we need more routes", rather than the more realistic " we need more power transmission". Many of the existing corridors date from the 30s and 40s and have older, smaller equipment. The simplest, least disruptive (and cheapest) fix is to add more transmission lines in existing corridors.

Off my soapbox.

Charley

Post by Charley » August 27th, 2010, 9:17 am

Second StevefromDodge. Aren't there already enough clearcuts and such? That failing, I agree with Ryan that the routes are permanent scars, and that when they deface an area being developed for its scenic recreational potential, it has a longer term negative impact on the community at question. I think BPA ought to install smart meters on every home- if they're worried about power outages during summer days, they can jack up the price, let people know how much they're using, and watch the free market nip the problem in the bud. We need smarter use of the electricity we have, not just more powerlines.
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » August 27th, 2010, 9:39 am

I very much agree with Steve and Charley!

Many of the existing corridors (think Lolo Pass) are wide enough to allow for more lines.

And why not try for more conservation? I don't think BPA is in the meter business, but PGE recently intalled "smart" meters in my neighborhood. The main purpose is to save on labor costs for meter readers. Actually, for what Charley describes, smart meters aren't even needed--just charge a higher rate for the amount used that exceeds a base level of kilowatt hours per month.

Stefrobrts

Post by Stefrobrts » August 27th, 2010, 11:44 am

Charley wrote:We need smarter use of the electricity we have, not just more powerlines.
I'm with you on that one. I'm not looking forward to seeing the beautiful hills east of us scarred with clearcuts and transmission towers.
Stephanie
Vancouver, WA

romann

Post by romann » September 15th, 2010, 12:14 pm

Does anybody know if they made a decision already which route a powerline will go?

Ryan Ojerio

Post by Ryan Ojerio » September 15th, 2010, 1:12 pm

a decision on the route is not due until Fall of 2011. If you are concerned about the impact that it could have on recreation in the area. Please write to BPA online at http://www.bpa.gov/go/i5 or by mail to:

BPA I-5 Corridor Reinforcement
P.O. Box 9250
Portland, OR 97207

Your letter will have them most impact if you focus on the damage that the power line corridor will have on recreation and how it could forever change the area for future generations.

Silver Star and the Western Yacolt Burn State Forest is really a single outstanding recreation area. But it could be so much better with a unified voice protecting it. It desperately needs better funding from both DNR and the Forest Service. But most of all it needs people who care about it to take notice that it is being threatened.

I'm organizing a letter writing campaign to rally comments to BPA and the DNR regarding this issue. Stay tuned for more info to come in early October.

This map shows where the proposed routes are. Route "O" would cross several trails including new non-motorized trails that are proposed in the recently adopted Wesern Yacolt Burn Recreation Plan. Route "P" traverses more private lands on the western edge of the Yacolt Burn. Yet a 3rd option on the table is to run the route along the existing right of way up I-5.

This panoramic is from the Tarbell Trail about 1.5 miles from the Grouse Vista Trailhead. The proposed power line would cut across from the left side and head off towards Mount St. Helens which is obscured by a large cumulus cloud in this photo.
Silver Star View_Tarbell.jpg
Attachments
YacoltMap_BPALines.jpg
[email protected]
(360) 722-2657