Cape Meares Lighthouse vandalized

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
romann

Cape Meares Lighthouse vandalized

Post by romann » February 11th, 2010, 3:31 pm

Not really a hiking story but still a famous landmark, it's sad.
Police arrested two men suspected of vandalizing at the historic Cape Meares Lighthouse in early January... Police said several rounds were fired at the lighthouse, breaking 15 windows and several pieces of a historic Fresnel lens. Additional rounds were fired into an active Coast Guard light and surrounding equipment. The Oregon Parks and Recreation Department estimated damage to be over $50,000 dollars.
The story is here
http://www.kgw.com/news/Vandal-shoots-o ... 60167.html

kelkev

Re: Cape Meares Lighthouse vandalized

Post by kelkev » February 11th, 2010, 4:56 pm

Sad indeed. My wife and I will be camped at Cape Lookout SP this weekend (in our travel trailer), I think that the lighthouse park is closed till further notice, but will find out. Hooligans who shoot up lighthouses (and other things like USFS guard stations, etc.) have a special place in the afterlife reserved just for them. Too bad we can't send them there now.
"Going to the mountains is going home."
— John Muir

Grannyhiker

Re: Cape Meares Lighthouse vandalized

Post by Grannyhiker » February 11th, 2010, 6:37 pm

Sad, but also glad they caught the yokels! However, per the news article I read, only one of their offenses is a felony; rest are misdemeanors. http://www.katu.com/news/local/84147557.html So throwing the book at them is probably not in the cards. Too bad!