Article on Columbia Gorge Loop

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
Born2BBrad

Article on Columbia Gorge Loop

Post by Born2BBrad » January 30th, 2013, 12:48 pm

There is an interesting article in the 1/30/13 Oregonian about the proposed Columbia Gorge loop trail. I was aware of the idea, but not any specifics.

http://www.oregonlive.com/clark-county/ ... _plan.html

Also, here's a link to the website of the group working on the loop:

http://chinooktrails.org/
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

retired jerry

Re: Article on Columbia Gorge Loop

Post by retired jerry » January 30th, 2013, 12:59 pm

That would be really nice

There's a lot of low elevation East side trail that would be good during the 90% of the time when it's raining here

vibramhead

Post by vibramhead » January 30th, 2013, 2:12 pm

This is a great idea! It'd be nice to see a more detailed map of the proposed route; the Chinook Trail website doesn't seem to have that.
Time spent hiking will not be deducted from your life.

GPS tracks on Wikiloc.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » January 30th, 2013, 5:35 pm

Their website doesn't seem to have any maps at all. I'd think that'd be pretty high on the agenda for an organization that wants to promote trails. Very odd...
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

potato

Post by potato » January 30th, 2013, 6:17 pm

Interesting...

The oregonlive article seems really pessimistic?
"Members of the Chinook Trail Association understand they will not see their proposed 300-mile loop trail completed but continue working on it for a greater purpose."
"While [the completed 300 mile trail] is still generations away..."
"[Cannard] hatched the plan prior to starting the association and knowing he would not live to see the loop trail's completion."

I don't understand why they're so certain it will take this long to complete, especially when they say there are 135 miles of existing trails on both sides of the gorge... I can see 20 years to get through a bunch of red tape, but generations?
self observing universe (main blog)
Joe hikes (PCT blog)
Laws of Nature (bandcamp)

Koda

Post by Koda » January 31st, 2013, 9:28 am

kepPNW wrote:Their website doesn't seem to have any maps at all. I'd think that'd be pretty high on the agenda for an organization that wants to promote trails. Very odd...
Still no map, but here is a followup article describing in detail some major portions of the trail. IMO, while grateful for the press coverage it might have been premature depending on how far along they are completing the loop, it would take extensive map creating to detail 300 miles of trail as a specific route.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/terryrichard ... ummer.html
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » January 31st, 2013, 10:23 am

Koda wrote:
kepPNW wrote:Their website doesn't seem to have any maps at all. I'd think that'd be pretty high on the agenda for an organization that wants to promote trails. Very odd...
Still no map, but here is a followup article describing in detail some major portions of the trail. IMO, while grateful for the press coverage it might have been premature depending on how far along they are completing the loop, it would take extensive map creating to detail 300 miles of trail as a specific route.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/terryrichard ... ummer.html
I'm sure there are lots of good reasons they don't have it mapped out too precisely, at least in the public eye. As soon as that happens, there's no end of grief for/from the property owners who may be affected. Sure wouldn't hurt to lay out a line on the map that's a couple miles wide, though, showing a somewhat refined concept of the envisioned corridor.

I think what surprised me more, though, was that they had links to brief and confusing text descriptions of numerous other existing trails. They even mentioned (but didn't link to!) downloadable maps for some of them. Seemed like a potential point of frustration (tease) for site visitors.

Consider these just the nits of a guy who's built both maps and websites for decades... :)
Karl

turtle

Post by turtle » January 31st, 2013, 1:20 pm

If you scroll down a bit there is a rough map. Pretty good looking hike. I wonder where it crosses the Columbia east of Portland?
Summer breezes caressed me, my legs stepped forward as though possessed of their own appetite, and the mountains kept promising. Rebecca Solnit

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » January 31st, 2013, 1:28 pm

turtle wrote:Pretty good looking hike. I wonder where it crosses the Columbia east of Portland?
Looks like they're using the US-97 bridge at Biggs, in addition to the PCT crossing at CL.
Karl

turtle

Post by turtle » January 31st, 2013, 3:51 pm

It crosses on the 205 bridge in Portland. It looks like it follows the Marine Drive MUP bike path for a ways, then maybe the I-84 bike/MUP. The most interesting part of the loop to me looks like the Cascade Locks to Biggs portion and the corresponding Washington portion. Lots of private property to deal with.
Summer breezes caressed me, my legs stepped forward as though possessed of their own appetite, and the mountains kept promising. Rebecca Solnit