1882 Winchester rifle found in Great Basin National Park

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
viking

Re: 1882 Winchester rifle found in Great Basin National Park

Post by viking » January 17th, 2015, 2:45 pm

Age of tree, unknown to me and no I have not been there. How I come to think that this particular tree is less than 100 years is the condition and size of the trunk as seen in the picture. I have cut down several hundred trees including many Junipers land clearing and for firewood. Nothing with this trunk size ever counted to 100 rings. What I was dealing with was Western Juniper east of Bend and what is typical of GBNP is a mix of Western, Rocky Mountain and Utah Junipers. (Sibley, Guild to Trees,2009). (The article noted the tree to be a Juniper). I also see no marks in the bark and over a long period of time something should be showing. Barrel ingrown or scuffed bark, look at signs around here after 20-30 years. I also note the tips of the shoulder rest not being more rotten than the rest of the stock even after so long in the ground. Compared to many other items I have seen pulled up from old homestead sites, mines, logging operations this gun just doesn't seem to have been there that long. WAG on my part? Yup. I will agree that the find is cool and I would find room above my mantle if I found it.

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » January 22nd, 2015, 9:41 am

Great Basin posted this update on their page today, along with this photo.
gb_gun.jpg
Great Basin National Park

Great Basin National Park has been thrill with all the interest in the discovery of the Winchester Model 1873 rifle in the park. Everyone has a lot of good questions. Here are some answers to some of the most common questions asked. Keep scrolling!

1. What caliber is the gun? .44-40

2. Was it loaded? No

3. Were there any shells nearby? No

4. Will we use metal detectors to look for shells or other clues to the gun's history? Yes, probably.

5. Were human remains found with the gun? No nothing was visible near the gun. Surveys will continue in the area in the spring when the snow melts.

6. Why didn't the tree grow around the gun, this has happened to other guns and objects? The tree is a juniper tree and they are very slow growing. The gun was not left in the crotch of a tree where it might have been grown around. Also the bark on the tree is dead and the rifle was not in contact with anything other than the bark, if it were leaning against a spot on the tree where a living branch broke or had been cut the tree might have grown around the rifle.

7. The orange tape around the stock of the gun, what does it do? The orange tape is flagging that has been wrapped and woven around the stock to keep it from further damage and degradation. There is no adhesive on the flagging, adhesive could cause damage to the stock.

8. How many inches was the stock buried? Between 4 and 5 inches.

9.How often do we have discoveries like this in the park? This is an unusual artifact. We identify many artifacts in the Park, some are much older than this rifle. This is the first time a rifle or anything of this type has been documented by park employees.

10. Have we had a significant discovery like this in the park before? This is one of many significant artifacts found in the park. Not all are as glamorous or exciting. Artifacts tell a story that helps us understand how people used the area now protected in the park. It is unusual to find something of this type in this circumstance and condition.

11. If it wasn't loaded could it be a burial marker? We do not have any evidence of a burial or death associated with this artifact. We are continuing research.
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

Koda

Post by Koda » January 22nd, 2015, 10:23 am

I cant help but wonder is it legal to keep something you find in the woods?
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

drm

Post by drm » January 22nd, 2015, 3:54 pm

Koda wrote:I cant help but wonder is it legal to keep something you find in the woods?
If it qualifies as archeology or historical, probably not. But if you find a camera or such, probably so.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » January 22nd, 2015, 5:58 pm

I find things all the time, put them in my pack, then the recycle bin at home. Cleaning up the Bridal Veil Plateau, I bet I found 100 aluminum cans and at least 20 bottles. :lol:
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller