Graffiti in National Parks

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
miah66

Graffiti in National Parks

Post by miah66 » October 23rd, 2014, 11:58 am

A woman from NY has instagrammed herself making "artwork" on rocks across various National Parks in the West. Not too bright, I guess.

Link to story w/ video.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

jessbee

Re: Graffiti in National Parks

Post by jessbee » October 23rd, 2014, 12:40 pm

Ack. I just saw this article on Facebook and it makes me so MAD!!! Someone never got past the "I am the center of the universe" phase. And to top it all of, her "artwork" is terrible. I wouldn't even want to see it if it was located in an appropriate place.
Will break trail for beer.

Blog and photos

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » October 23rd, 2014, 1:07 pm

jessbee wrote:Ack. I just saw this article on Facebook and it makes me so MAD!!! Someone never got past the "I am the center of the universe" phase. And to top it all of, her "artwork" is terrible. I wouldn't even want to see it if it was located in an appropriate place.
Ditto. Let's hope the power of social media will ensure that she will be prosecuted and forced to clean up her mess.
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

mcds

Post by mcds » October 23rd, 2014, 3:17 pm

Agreed. Ditto.

https://www.google.com/search?q=national+park+graffiti

But where is the line? Different people/groups, even on this forum, have different ideas about what is or isn't an appropriate hack in forest lands. It will be interesting to see if anyone posts a different point of view regarding the art, though I suspect all of us frown on what was reported on in the graffiti story, as well as the story of the three Boy Scout Leaders who toppled natural (ancient) hoodoos in Utah,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1ft2q4ckQI

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/03/18/2- ... formation/
Last edited by mcds on October 23rd, 2014, 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Koda

Post by Koda » October 23rd, 2014, 3:37 pm

too bad its not limited to National Parks.

MHNF:

Tillamook State Forest:

Ugly or beautiful its still graffiti.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

mcds

Post by mcds » October 23rd, 2014, 3:49 pm

The sun-rock artist must have camped in the GPNH High Lakes as well. Fortuitously, the fire ring was light a few stones.

vibramhead

Post by vibramhead » October 23rd, 2014, 4:58 pm

This self-proclaimed "artist", aka narcissistic, shameless, talentless vandal, is, according to her now-closed Tumblr and Instagram accounts, a woman named Casey Nocket. I think it's important to name her, because if there's any justice at all, at least the attention she's getting will mean that, for years to come, anyone (such as a prospective employer) who googles her name will learn exactly what sort of person she is.
Time spent hiking will not be deducted from your life.

GPS tracks on Wikiloc.

mcds

Post by mcds » October 23rd, 2014, 5:22 pm

Both men were originally facing felony mischief charges. If Taylor and Hall meet the requirements of their probation, the offenses will later be removed from their records.
2 former Boy Scout leaders plead guilty to toppling ancient Utah rock formation, avoid jail

miah66

Post by miah66 » October 23rd, 2014, 5:34 pm

Im pretty certain that all this attention, while it might land her some type of punishment, may benefit her in the long run. As an artist, especially an aspiring one, you cant buy this kind of notoriety, good or bad. Its sad but true.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

mcds

Post by mcds » October 23rd, 2014, 5:35 pm

agreed