“Outdoor recreation is not just fun and games,” report says

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
kepPNW

“Outdoor recreation is not just fun and games,” report says

Post by kepPNW » September 30th, 2014, 1:41 pm

Buh-bye Discovery Pass?
Associated Press wrote:Task force proposing new taxes for state parks

OLYMPIA — A task force appointed by the governor recommends bringing back two unpopular taxes to help fund Washington state parks and the outdoor recreation industry.

The report from the Blue Ribbon Task Force on Parks and Outdoor Recreation recommends a sales tax on bottled water and an excise tax on motor homes and travel trailers.

They could collect $100 million in the next two-year budget, The Daily Herald reported Monday.

Gov. Jay Inslee did not endorse the taxes in a statement last week, but they could become part of his budget proposal in December.

The Legislature approved a tax on bottled water in 2010 only to see it repealed the same year by voters. The state ended an excise tax on motor homes and travel trailers after voters passed an initiative in 2000.

In addition to the taxes, the task force also proposes creating a position in the Department of Commerce to focus on the needs of the outdoor recreation industry. And a coordinating council should be set up to improve access to local, state and federal lands. Those could cost $750,000-a-year, the report estimates.

The task force concluded that people using parks and public lands managed by the Department of Natural Resources and Department of Fish and Wildlife are required to cover too much of the cost. The current Discover Pass, which costs $30 a year or $10 for a day pass, is unpopular and a barrier to some people, the task force said.

Inslee directed the task force to come up with ideas for stabilizing state park funding and marketing the industry to tourists. The 29-member panel began work in April. It held five public meetings and received 3,000 comments online.

Providing opportunities for outdoor recreation should be treated as an essential government service, the task force said.

“Outdoor recreation is not just fun and games,” the report said.
Source: http://www.columbian.com/news/2014/sep/ ... ate-parks/
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

adamschneider

Re: “Outdoor recreation is not just fun and games,” report s

Post by adamschneider » September 30th, 2014, 2:02 pm

There ought to be a $1-per-bottle tax on bottled water! (Especially when it's made from local tap water, which it usually is.)

Koda

Post by Koda » September 30th, 2014, 3:27 pm

Associated Press wrote:In addition to the taxes, the task force also proposes creating a position in the Department of Commerce to focus on the needs of the outdoor recreation industry. And a coordinating council should be set up to improve access to local, state and federal lands. Those could cost $750,000-a-year, the report estimates.
does this say failure or what? With the Discover Pass a failure and everything else "underfunded" they want to create a new position adding approximately $750K/year...

I am just curious what the Portland Hiker community at large deems important to maintaining outdoor recreation for all, what are the needs for the "outdoor recreation industry"? At a minimum we need forest road maintenance, trail maintenance, and campground maintenance. What else is there?
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » September 30th, 2014, 3:35 pm

adamschneider wrote:There ought to be a $1-per-bottle tax on bottled water! (Especially when it's made from local tap water, which it usually is.)
:idea:

Amen. And add an additional $1/bottle recycling deposit...
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Guy

Post by Guy » September 30th, 2014, 6:54 pm

With the Discover Pass a failure and everything else "underfunded" they want to create a new position adding approximately $750K/year...
This made me laugh, It seems that the Answer isn't more funding for actual maintenance but more funding for more bureaucrats. Where do these people come from???? Sure isn't the real world!!!!
The task force concluded that people using parks and public lands managed by the Department of Natural Resources and Department of Fish and Wildlife are required to cover too much of the cost.
So the answer this brain trust comes up with is to shift the cost to an even smaller segment of the population - RV Owners :o - That'll teach 'em :)

In the interests of Full disclosure I don't own a Discover Pass or an RV & I drink Tap Water :)
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » September 30th, 2014, 11:17 pm

It is not unusual to see gigantic RVs parked in SW WA driveways with OR plates. If this goes through, we might see more.
"Why are you always chasing women?"
"I'll tell you as soon as I catch one!"

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 1st, 2014, 6:43 am

Gigantic RVs in WA with OR plates are because of sales tax? 8% of sales price? $8000 on a $100,000 RV. Goes to general fund?

none in OR

OR has a registration fee of like $100 per year for state parks

Peabody

Post by Peabody » October 1st, 2014, 4:52 pm

The 29-member panel....
Well there's your problem :lol:
"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.”
― E.B. White

BigBear

Post by BigBear » October 3rd, 2014, 9:19 am

I'm extremely surprised that RVs do not already have an excise tax. I personally know that boats have had an excise tax for several decades, and when that tax was also applied to Oregon-owned boats moored at Camas-Washougal, we moved our boat back to Oregon. I had thought this tax was applied to all recreational luxury items at that time, which is one of the reasons Washington's tax roll suffered worse in this past recession than Oregon's.

At the risk of starting a "which is better" tax discussion, a sales and excise tax system (Washington) serves the state well during good times when big-ticket purchases are made, but when times are bad, the income tax (Oregon) produces a more stable revenue because even though incomes go down, the sales of big-ticket items are wiped-out and the remaining household budget is used for rent and food.

For anyone thinking a 100% tax on water is a good idea, feel free to pony-up ahead of the rush and make your donations now. This concept of tax-until-they-drop is consistent with the centuries-old philosophy that public parks are to be enjoyed only by the rich (reference: Bill Bryson, "At Home" ?)

I think I've been fairly consistent that public land should be for all of the public to enjoy. The recent USFS violation of the 1st Amendment (still not resolved according to today's Statesman Journal, page 1) only goes to prove that your right to hike is being dwindled down to the size of your pocketbook. How much of your paycheck are you willing to set aside for the right to walk or picnic?

Personally, I don't want to go back to those days where you had to pay a month's wages to peek through a hole in the fence to view Niagara Falls. Obviously some legislators can't wait for a return of those days.