Goodness gracious, another fire. Near Hagg Lake.

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
Waffle Stomper

Goodness gracious, another fire. Near Hagg Lake.

Post by Waffle Stomper » September 19th, 2014, 8:42 pm

http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/4119/

Smoke plume and sunset from Nansen summit in Portland.
Hagg lake fire.jpg
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

forestkeeper

Re: Goodness gracious, another fire. Near Hagg Lake.

Post by forestkeeper » September 19th, 2014, 9:22 pm

Somehow, when wildfires/ forest fires are started by an Act of God (ie.,lightning), I think less of it than if they are started by human carelessness or arson. And though fires are a natural occurrence, I'm still saddened by the loss of forest communities and the landscape. :( The 36 Pit fire really hit home as this is the area I work in every week. The eagles, falcons, hawks, ducks and geese, and forest animals' homes and habitat are gone. :cry: I'm ready for the rain that the Southwestern US is getting.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 19th, 2014, 9:33 pm

rains are coming. Fire season must be near end.

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » September 20th, 2014, 6:08 am

forestkeeper wrote:Somehow, when wildfires/ forest fires are started by an Act of God (ie.,lightning), I think less of it than if they are started by human carelessness or arson. And though fires are a natural occurrence, I'm still saddened by the loss of forest communities and the landscape. :( The 36 Pit fire really hit home as this is the area I work in every week. The eagles, falcons, hawks, ducks and geese, and forest animals' homes and habitat are gone. :cry: I'm ready for the rain that the Southwestern US is getting.
Well said.

Perhaps a little less rain than the SW however. That's a tad much with its own issues. :)
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » September 20th, 2014, 6:11 am

:lol: That's true! Plus, I'm not a good swimmer......

Koda

Post by Koda » September 20th, 2014, 11:54 am

forestkeeper wrote:Somehow, when wildfires/ forest fires are started by an Act of God (ie.,lightning), I think less of it than if they are started by human carelessness or arson. And though fires are a natural occurrence, I'm still saddened by the loss of forest communities and the landscape. :( The 36 Pit fire really hit home as this is the area I work in every week. The eagles, falcons, hawks, ducks and geese, and forest animals' homes and habitat are gone. :cry: I'm ready for the rain that the Southwestern US is getting.
If there was a like button I would press it.... ;)
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

texasbb

Post by texasbb » September 20th, 2014, 12:38 pm

Yep. I know the forests need to burn every now and then, I just wish it would never be right now. :)